170. A Normal Day

As time passed and Lalisa's due date approached, she frequently felt sharp pains in her stomach. In addition, headaches and dizziness were common, so people hovered around her vicinity for any possible situation. As such, Jungkook's concern for her only increased. He completed the minimal amount of work for the day, then went to his wife's side.

"How are you? Are you feeling well?"

Lalisa smiled faintly as she lay in a soft bed.

"Yes, don't worry. Recently I called a doctor because of stomach pain, but he said I was fine."

"How can I not worry? If I knew you would suffer like this...I would have been against the pregnancy."

"Shhh, the baby's listening."

Despite her comments, Jungkook glared disapprovingly at her round stomach. The child had been putting Lalisa through a lot of stress as of late. He had heard of many cases of sickness and death during childbirth. Jungkook settled himself next to herbedside, his expression troubled as he stroked her face.

"I never want to see my wife suffer again. Whatever the gender of the child, they will be my successor."

A daughter would be difficult due to the low social advancement of women in the Ruford Empire, but that mattered little to Jungkook. It was better to change imperial law rather than watch his wife suffer.

In any kingdom, the emperor routinely had many children, and the most distinguished of them all was named the heir. But Jungkook had no intention of taking in another wife other than Lalisa, and he did not want her to go through another pregnancy. Their child would be the next emperor, whether girl or boy.

Lalisa suddenly winced and held her belly with both hands.

"Ah."

"Wait."

Jungkook stood up and was about to summon a doctor, but Lalisa grabbed his sleeve with one hand and shook her head.

"I'm fine. The doctor said it was a natural symptom at this stage and nothing to worry about."

"But..."

"The pain will soon fade. You know that, Kookie."

Just as Lalisa said, Jungkook had seen her go through these phases before. The pain naturally disappeared each time, so it was useless calling a doctor unless there was some abnormality.

Jungkook sat himself next to her, looking more pained than she was. He gently rubbed her hands in feet in hopes of easing her tension. Fortunately, Lalisa's pain did not last long, and soon after her expression relaxed again.

"Thank you."

"...I wish I could give birth instead."

At the seriousness of Jungkook's face, Lalisa burst out laughing. He didn't know how much his words meant to her. Jungkook truly was a lovely man. Because he was by her side, she could endure any hardships that came her way.

"Have you thought of a name for our baby?"

"I have since the last time you asked me about it."

"What is it?"

"Serena."

"That's a girl's name, isn't it?"

"Yes. I want her to be a beautiful girl that looks like you."

As he spoke, Jungkook's blue eyes glimmered with a warm light. He wore a wonderful smile as he looked at his wife's face.

"But you should also consider a boy's name, too. That's too feminine for a son."