133. A Shocking Development

"We will soon have a coronation to formally pass the throne to Crown Prince Carlisle."

That made Jungkook the final victor. Many of the nobles who followed Ophelia paled, but they could find no reason to oppose Gongyoo's orders.

"Your Majesty! Mingyu is your son! This is too much."

Although Ophelia raised her voice in objection, Gongyoo answered with a steady voice, having already made up his mind.

"Escort the Empress to the palace so she may rest."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Several knights marched towards Ophelia and stood around her. They did not lay their hands on her, but they would do so if she did not comply willingly.

"Please come this way, Your Majesty."

Ophelia ground her teeth in resentment, but she stood up and stepped forward, knowing that resisting was an effort in futility. Cesare followed her with a face of contempt. Seeing that he would be left alone, Mingyu cried out with a frightened expression.

"M-Mother!"

Ophelia and Cesare, however, did not look back, and finally disappeared from view. Gongyoo turned his eyes towards his second son.

"Cough, cough. The Second Prince will be held in custody until there is a formal trial. Let us deliberate more on what to do then."

"Father, I'm sorry, I did wrong. Please forgive me just this once...!"

Mingyu attempted to rush towards Gongyoo, but a barrier of knights captured and restrained him. He was dragged out of the conference hall, begging and screaming for mercy.

A deathly silence had fallen over room as the Anita family crumbled before everyone's view. Gongyoo looked around at the nobles with his sunken eyes and addressed them again.

"Is there anything more to discuss while we're gathered here to honor that nation's founding?"

"..."

It was impossible for anyone to speak after what had just happened. When the room remained silent, Gongyoo raised himself from his throne with a heavy sigh.

"Then let us end this year's national memorial meeting."

"Y-yes, Your Majesty! Eternal glory to the Ruford Empire!"

The hall echoed with the loud voices of nobles, then Gongyoo walked out the exit with restrained, but dignified, steps. Standing to one side of the corridor was Jungkook, and Gongyoo turned towards him and whispered to him in a soft voice.

"Well done."

Gongyoo did not know everything that Jungkook had been planning. However, when the nobles had been demanding Mingyu's release, Jungkook had quietly come to him and requested some time to speak at the assembly. Gongyoo suspected that Jungkook had prepared something, but he performed much better than he expected.

However, the outcome was not completely favorable. Just as Ophelia had said, Mingyu was still his son.

Gongyoo made to walk past Jungkook, but he suddenly stopped.

"Jungkook."

"Yes, Father."

"Cough.. cough. Don't hate Mingyu too much...he is your brother."

Jungkook's cool blue eyes turned towards his father.

"...That is why he still has his life."

Mingyu and Jungkook were only half-brothers by blood, but it was still the same blood. Gongyoo himself tried to avoid killing his own brother as much as possible. Jungkook was aware of that fact, and so he restrained himself in honor of his father. He would only choose to kill Mingyu if it was unavoidable. As long as Gongyoi was alive, he did not intend to take Mingyu's life.