113. I'm Worried that I'm Happy

Jungkook stared at Jimin, who had returned to the palace without notice.

"I know that my sister-in-law is still in the capital. Why did you come back from your vacation?"

"The break was long enough. And I had too much work here for me to stay at the Blaise mansion."

"Everything is proceeding fine without you. There are no grounds for worry."

Jungkook had a blasé air of indifference, but Jimin ignored it. This wasn't meant to be a friendly conversation anyway. He ignored Jungkook's words and continued in his usual flat voice.

"I assigned a reliable placement for the young lady before leaving. You won't have to worry about anything that will endanger her."

Jungkook gave a resigned nod.

"Very well. It's late, so you can return to work tomorrow."

"Understood."

Jimin was about to leave now that the conversation had ended, but he noticed that Jungkook was alone his office in this late hour. The prince always was when there was something on his mind.

"What are you thinking of?"

Jungkook smiled faintly as he rubbed the ring on his left hand.

"I'm worried."

"If there's something concerning you, I'll lend you an ear."

Jimin sensed that Jungkook had something on his mind. Jungkook didn't mention it, but he knew Jungkook had given in to the monster and lost his sanity during the attack.

But the words that came out of Jungkook's mouth were not what Jimin expected.

"Well, what if you're so happy that it worries you?"

"..."

"Have you ever felt that way? The things I've been longing for have come true."

"..."

"It's hard to take in because my dreams are happening before my eyes. It's almost unreal..."

Jungkook had spent countless nights thinking about Lalisa, like the moment when they met at the Imperial Palace, and the promise of what they would do when they met again. His dreams, of course, included a fantasy of being loved by her. He wanted to have everything about Lalisa, and he wildly, frantically hoped that one day her feelings would catch up to his.

And such a moment came. She smiled at him and confessed her love for him. She had even risked her life for his sake, and he understood was what it was like to be loved. Reality was incredible. Even after Lalisa discovered the terrible secrets he wanted to hide, she still looked at him with warmth in her smile.

"Jimin, you understand that this happiness...it never lasts for us."

Jungkook's blue eyes penetrated the deep darkness. Since he was born, he had never had his way. He never wanted a dragon's power, nor did he want to be a crown prince. Everything he did want was taken from him—his cherished mother abandoned him, and his own father had unceremoniously abandoned him to the battlefield. After that, it wasn't that Jungkook didn't want to contact Lalisa after he first met her. He was not ready yet, and he wanted to keep her from danger.

Though Jungkook may appear to be wealthy other people's eyes, he had always lost much of what he wanted.

'...And I almost lost my wife.'

The moment he saw Lalisa fall from an arrow meant for him, he thought his heart would burst. He would never allow the world to dare take her from him. His fury was beyond words.