33. May We Enter?

It was late at night when Jimin arrived. He was more cautious than usual, as a man seen sneaking into the room of a noblewoman would cause unwanted rumors. It was not polite to visit at such a late hour, but consent was given in advance at the urgency of the two handkerchiefs.

Jimin quietly landed in the room and turned to close the windows. Lalisa, who was just about to succumb to slumber, opened her eyes at the slight disturbance. Her hand glided towards the dagger under her pillow. Then she heard a familiar voice.

"It's Jimin. What did you call me for?"

Lalisa loosened her grip on the dagger and got out of bed. It was impolite to receive a guest while lying down. However, Jimin shifted his gaze politely as to not look at Lalisa in her nightgown, and when she noticed she hurriedly slipped on a robe next to her bed. She went straight to the point.

"I received the clothes and jewels that you sent me today. You know about it, don't you?"

"Yes, I know."

"I will be forced to accept a dress for the ball, but as for the jewels–"

Jimin cut her off.

"That's not possible."

He seemed to have anticipated her answer. When Lalisa tried to open her mouth to speak, Jimin interrupted her again.

"The General said that he would stab me in the neck if I took them back."

"W-what?"

Lalisa was shocked by the unexpected reply. She spoke again, suspicion written on her features.

"Is that a joke?"

"Probably not."

She doubted if Jungkook would really kill Jimin, but Jimin had answered so seriously. Jungkook seemed to have read her mind. In fact, he also made her promise from the start to accept the items he sent her.

'...But how can I possibly do so?'

The cost of dresses and jewelry alone were enormous, let alone the astronomical price of the red diamond necklace. She could not accept such things without any reason.

"Then please tell the prince this. It's too valuable for me to accept. I will return the dress after I use it at the ball, as I made a promise and I must keep it. I hope you can take the jewels back though."

Lalisa was insistent, but Jimin replied with an unperturbed expression.

"I'll let him know. But the General said, 'If she makes such a request, tell her this.'"

"...What is it?"

"He said he would like to see you as a lady at the ball wearing the dress and jewelry he sent you."

Lalisa didn't know why Jungkook wanted to give her such precious gifts. Then suddenly she remembered what he told her last time they met.

— "I don't like other people looking at you, but I don't intend to let my woman down."

Was he saying that he wanted her to be crowned the Madonna of the ball?

It was not honor bestowed at all balls, but in the case of the Imperial Court there were ceremonies that selected the most beautiful woman of the night. The chosen woman was rewarded with a tiara, and while the tiara itself was more symbolic than monetarily valuable, it was an honor coveted by many a young noblewoman. There were even rumors in public that a humble woman crowned Madonna could find a good match and ascend in social status. It was why the tailor shops were paralyzed with work during ball season.