92. Her Own

She knew reasonably that it was not Jungkook's fault if he chose another woman as his second wife. Jungkook, like her, had made a contract out of necessity, and he was still faithfully fulfilling his terms. It was her fault that her heart was uncertain. They were married before she realized that she liked him, and now she could see him welcoming another wife before she even expressed her feelings properly.

'...I don't like it.'

She tried to soothe her nerves countless times. She didn't want to share Jungkook with anyone. Her greed for him crept up unexpectedly, and she had not taken it into account when she first drew up the contract. Lalisa's mission was to protect her family and make him emperor. Only then could Namgil be eliminated and everyone's future changed.

'Kookie may never be my own.'

An emperor had to secure his position with many alliances, which naturally led to marriage. It was unheard of for an emperor to marry only one woman. Lalisa wrestled with the idea of wanting Jungkook to be emperor, but also having him solely as her own. However, no matter her heart's protests, there was only one answer. Jungkook had to become emperor. She simply needed a little time to kill the feelings inside of her.

Jungkook looked at her worriedly.

"If there's anything wrong, tell me."

"N-nothing..."

She couldn't bring herself to confess that she feared him marrying another woman. What would he say if she was honest with him? A bitter smile spread on her face as she imagined it.

"Hmm."

Jungkook gently stroked her chin with his hand. After taking in her troubled expression, he spoke in a low voice.

"Shall we talk over a drink?"

"...?"

Ever since Lalisa drunkenly said she wanted to kiss him, Jungkook had been offering to drink with her. It was obvious he thought that kissing was her drunken habit, but she couldn't understand why kept making this offer.

"I'm fine. I'm not distressed enough to need a drink."

A small smile of regret passed Jungkook's handsome face at her rejection.

"Call me whenever you need a drinking friend. I'll drop everything."

"Thank you for your words."

Lalisa set down the sword in her hand, then picked up a bow and arrow and stood in front of a target. She had used a crossbow before when she saved Jungkook and had less muscle strength, but now she was considering returning to her main weapon.

Her shot landed dead center of the target.

Each arrow she let fly had the same result. Eventually, dozens of arrows tightly packed the center, and each subsequent arrows split the wooden shafts. Meanwhile, Jungkook observed her practice with an interested expression.

Lalisa pulled another arrow in the bowstring, and her worries about Jungkook taking a second wife flashed in her mind. Her focused calm seem to unbalance.

'... Don't be greedy.'

There was only one option for her. She didn't need to worry about something useless—

Lalisa was jerked out of her thoughts. She had pulled the bowstring incorrectly, and it almost whipped onto her face.

In a flash, Jungkook shot to her side and covered her face with his palm, preventing an accident.

"Kook-Kookie!"

Lalisa looked up at him in amazement, and he returned her a scowled look.

"What were you thinking? You almost got hurt."