152. Can't Wait

As Jungkook prepared to invade the Duchy of Lunen, he was given news that a large number of Kelt troops had been transferred to the rebellious state. There was an increase in active military movements between both areas, too numerous and large to escape the intelligence network of the Ruford Empire. Jungkook frowned when he heard the report.

"...He's also been busy scaremongering and spreading rumors about me."

Namgil was planning something. Now Jungkook had a rough idea of what he was up to.

'He planned to ally with the Kelt Kingdom and take the Empire from me...'

It was a bold move. Without the Kelt Kingdom's support, Namgil did not have the power to usurp Jungkook, who had already taken the throne. However, joining forces with Kelt did not mean guaranteed victory against Jungkook; if they faced each other head-on, a battle would likely be more advantageous to Jungkook. However, the playing field was now more evened.

'I'll teach them how foolish it is to even come up with such a plan against me.'

Jungkook did not care about Namgil's increased troop strength. If their military strength was equal, then victory rested on each commander's ability to lead the battlefield. There was no chance that Jungkook would lose there—from a young age, he survived threats of assassination in the palace, then grew up as an adult on the battlefied. His experiences and achievements in war were not exaggerated.

However, there was only one problem: If he took command and waged war, he would never be able to leave his position. In other words, he could not go freely to save Lalisa. The agony of it was a thorn in Jungkook's mind.

'Who can replace me?'

Delegating the important task to anyone else made him feel uneasy. Furthermore, when the war began in earnest, his enemy may try to use Lalisa's life as leverage against Jungkook. He couldn't leave his wife's safety to anyone else.

Jungkook breathed out a tired sigh, and pressed a gloved hand to his throbbing temple. He had taken to wearing a glove over his right hand to hide the black scales. He didn't care who stared at his arm, but now he couldn't afford any questioning gazes.

A knock on the door interrupted his thoughts.

"Come in."

With his permission granted, the door opened, revealing Jimin. He approached Jungkook and handed him some documents.

"I searched for all the potential places where Her Majesty could be held, just as you ordered. After considering the many possibilities, I narrowed it down to three places."

Jungkook looked carefully at the documents Jimin handed over. Jimin then continued to explain.

"The first is the castle in Lunen, and the second is his private residence. And finally, the Blood Assassins headquarters."

"Which is the most likely one of the three?"

"I can't guarantee it, but I would say the Blood Assassins are the most suspicious."

"Has anyone seen Lalisa in Lunen so far?"

"I'm not sure. I have sent my spies there, but she's somewhere that can't be found easily. That's why I believe it's more likely that she's being held by the Blood Assassins."

Jungkook nodded. If Namgil kidnapped Lalisa, he would keep her close by in the Duchy of Lunen, otherwise, his prize chess piece would be vulnerable if he left the task to another kingdom. Furthermore, it would also enable Namgil to use her to his advantage at any time.

A knock suddenly interrupted the two men's conversation. Jungkook turned towards the door in slight puzzlement.

"What is it?"