138. Time To Act

Jungkook and Lalisa spent several more days in the cave to avoid their pursuers. It was humble living compared to life in the Imperial Palace, but their days were happy as long as they had each other. If it weren't for the urgency of their situation, they might have even lingered there longer.

However, their duties called to them. Although they did not know the exact status at the Imperial Palace, they knew that all was not well.

"Are you ready to leave now?"

"Yes. I've cleared away all traces that we've been here, so no one will be able to track us easily."

Neither had fully recovered from their wounds just yet, but they were well enough to travel. Their shabby living circumstances could not dampen the couple's inherit beauty and charisma either—when they stood side-by-side, they looked like a painting from a fairy tale story.

"Shall we?"

Jungkook gave a small nod. Lalisa gave the cave one last regretful look before turning away. It was where she had her first time with Jungkook. The memory would not be easily forgotten.

Jungkook, sensing her thoughts, spoke in a soft voice.

"Are you sad?"

"For some reason, a little."

"You don't have to be."

Jungkook clasped her hand and took one step forward.

"I'll preserve this cave and turn this place into a cottage."

"...Really?"

As she walked behind him, she blinked her eyes in surprise. He gave a simple smile in reply.

"Of course. Who do you think I am?"

"I..."

"There's nothing that the emperor of the Ruford Empire cannot do."

The scene where Gongyoo declared that Jungkook would be crowned emperor floated back to her mind. No matter what was happening at the Imperial Palace now, Gongyoo had already named Jungkook as his successor.

"There is no need to worry. The throne is mine, unless I die. I won't give it up to anyone."

At his confident tone, Lalisa gave a small smile. Somehow, her steps felt a little lighter than before.

'I know. I won't forget.'

There was still a long path ahead of them. What remained unchanged, however, was that she would be his most powerful ally in this thorny path.

"I promised to make you emperor."

It seemed that it was time for her to play.

***

Lalisa's and Jungkook's first job was to find Lalisa's contact for Seokjin, leader of the delegation of the Freegrand kingdom. They needed information on the current situation in the Imperial Palace, but going to a noble family may reveal their activities to the Empress, and the distance was too far in any case. Meanwhile, Seokjin had branches in several places. It was far more trustworthy than going to the nobles, and the pair set their destination.

Soon after, they found themselves in a small parlor waiting for Yoongi. Jungkook glanced around with a look of surprise.

"I didn't realize that you were in contact with Seokjin."

"I had decided I needed an independent power to move around. I had agreed to give him exclusive trading rights when I became empress."

"Exclusive trading rights?"