73. I Will Only Say It Once

The next person Lalisa approached at the reception was Countess Hwasa Viviana, one of the most important social figures in the capital. Hwasa was a potential enemy, as Lalisa had been forced to blackmail Hwasa about her hidden son. It was because of this exploitation that Lalisa was able to become crown princess, and she was uneasy about it.

Lalisa easily found the countess, as she was the one with the most ladies gathered around her. Hwasa greeted her with a radiant smile when she noticed she was approaching.

"Oh, thank you for coming all the way here, Your Highness."

Hwasa's words drew the attention of the other ladies, and soon after they all greeted her with a bow.

"Hail the Crown Princess. Eternal glory to the Ruford Empire."

Lalisa still found it awkward when everyone bowed to her this way, but she returned the smile with no hint of discomfort.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all. I came to see the Countess Viviana, and found you all here."

"Oh goodness, I didn't realize the Crown Princess was looking for me. I'll have a quick chat with her and join you other ladies again."

Hwasa replied confidently, as if she were acquainted with Lalisa. The other ladies smiled at the two of them.

"Yes, please return, Countess."

"Congratulations on your wedding today, Your Highness."

The women gave their chorus, and Lalisa and Hwasa accepted their words with bright smiles. They both headed outside the hall towards to an open-air terrace. It was already sunset, and the cool spring breeze blew pleasantly across their faces. They were they only two souls on there, but Hwasa kept her polite smile on her face.

"What did you want to talk to me about, Your Highness?"

Lalisa was curious at how calm Hwasa remained, as if their last meeting had never happened. After contemplating how to begin the conversation, Lalisa decided to be straightforward.

"I didn't expect a warm welcome from you."

"Is there any reason why I shouldn't be glad to see you, Your Highness?"

The question might have seemed absurd. Lalisa clarified herself, as she wondered what on earth Hwasa was thinking.

"We didn't leave the first meeting on the best of terms."

"You kept your promise to stay quiet, so I decided to forget it."

At Hwasa's reply, Lalisa understood once again that the most dangerous opponents were not the ones who were outwardly terrifying. The countess' reputation as a shrewd woman was not for nothing. Hwasa already knew that open hostility towards the Crown Princess was not to her benefit.

'But she can't help but be wary of me.'

There was no way anyone would be comfortable having their with having their deepest secrets exposed. Another saying crossed Lalisa's mind.

'Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.'

Hwasa was keeping her enemy, Lalisa, closer. But so was Lalisa. She couldn't let Hwasa alone, but since the Countess had made no movements yet, she couldn't yet touch her. Lalisa tried to appeal to her heart this time, but the countess was more skilled than she thought, and she couldn't help but admire the other woman. She didn't know if Hwasa would stab her in the back, but no relationship began with complete faith. ElenaLalisadecided to keep her around for now and, if possible, make her, her ally.

"I worried that you may have your doubts about me, so I'm relieved that you trust me."

"Of course. There's no one on this continent who doesn't believe in the Crown Princess of the Ruford Empire. I also worried that you may be reluctant about me, so I'm happy to hear that you trust me as well."