Chapter 92

It never occurred to Grace that the sound of rain dripping to the ground sounded exactly like droplets of blood hitting a surface.

Those liquids, one more charming than the other for a vampire, had the same rhythm. Just the thick texture of blood made the sound last a bit longer in her ears.

Not that any human could hear.

Droplet after droplet.

The quick pace of the rain turned a bit slower.

The water drops turned red.

She crouched down to have a closer look.

The rhythm changed again. Now it resembled a beating heart. It echoed into a choir of multiple beating hearts.

Grace closed her eyes, feeling her fangs pierce her lower lips. She could nearly feel the taste on her tongue. The only means to ease the ever burning fire in her throat. She just had to break the delicate barrier between her and the liquid she desired. It only took one quick bite through the skin of those humans around her.

It was Elijah's steady grip on her shoulder which ripped her out of her fantasy. She sighed when the blood turned to water again and she realized that her hunger struck brain was starting to get crazy.

Standing back up, she started to tip toe with her shoes into the small puddle of water in front of her, trying to distract herself.

Elijah looked at her with worry on his face. He shifted the umbrella he held above her a little.

It had been a while since he saw her this hungry. Even though he never stopped bringing her any blood bag she desired, or taking her out to have fresher alternative, it never seemed to really ease her.

"Do you think..."

Elijah let the words fade out. He considered that he didn't want to hear the answer or even hurt Grace.

"What?"

She shot him a confused look. It wasn't his style to struggle with words.

Elijah sighed and let his gaze wander over the landscape of concrete buildings and halls that covered New Orleans' transit harbour.

"Do you think that the baby is causing that hunger?"

Her hand shortly wandered to her throat out of reflex. She then looked back to the ground.

He was right. She never had been that hungry and it was getting worse. Still she felt more drained with every day. So much to that pregnancy glow.

Now it was her that was looking for words. If she was to speak the truth, she knew that she would bring the unspoken to the table. Maybe it wasn't just their enemies or anyone else threatening her. Maybe being with this child was a danger itself.

She couldn't bear his worried gaze, so she looked away, pretending to look for the ones they were waiting for.

"Maybe."

Thankfully, after finishing her one word answer, they saw and heard movement in the hall in front of them. A loud thud of something wooden falling onto concrete let Grace's sensitives nerves twitch.

"This Elijah Smith payed big money to have this drenched out of the golf...I think we renegotiate"

The dramatically hoarse voice of the smuggler they hired sounded from the hall. Elijah smiled lightly and placed a chaste kiss on Grace's hair.

"Your patience will not be tempered with for long now, my love."

With that he moved forward, following the trail of the sounds. A cruel little smile appeared on Grace's face as she followed him. Elijah knew that this wouldn't end well for the criminals. This would be a bloodbath that he had organized for her. Of course only a small side check in their mission to retrieve Rebekah.