Chapter 85

To call the Strix' party extravagant or pompous was the understatement of the year. Every Mikaelson ball Grace had witnessed seemed dull compared to this. 

She had to admit that she really was impressed by the atmosphere created in the mansion. It felt like everything was possible, like every guest was some sort of god. They probably were. 

Grace clung to Elijah's arm as they entered and the young woman took the people waltzing around her in. Most guests wore masks, which added perfectly to the exotic, sparsely dressed dancers that were there only for the vampires' entertainment. Some humans sat on tables, draping themselves for dinner. It was overall pathetic, but at the same time electrifying. What surprised her most was that she felt like she belonged here, not that out of place as she expected. 

The Original and the young vampire didn't bother to wear masks, there wasn't much secrecy about their identity anyways. Of course it made them stand out even more. While they slowly walked through the mass of people, they all parted to make some space, literally everyone openly gaping at them. Most gazes crossed Elijah first, but then flickered to the woman at his side, intensely studying her face. By now they all knew the name of her that had that much power over the Original family, but everyone was curious to see her face. 

"Well, isn't that awkward." 

Grace whispered, to which Elijah chuckled. Elegantly, he interlaced their hands in twirled her around when they reached the dance floor. His other hand found its place on her back, while Grace's rested on his broad shoulder. Her eyes wandered around the room with seemingly sky high ceilings after flashing Elijah a light smile. 

"Tristan hasn't shown his face yet. That's surprising." 

Elijah's lips pressed into a tight line when she mentioned his former companions' name. It hurt him deeply to even picture Tristan with Grace and he adverted his gaze. His eyes fell onto Marcel who chatted with Aya and his brows furrowed. 

Grace immediately noticed and looked at the point Elijah's eyes were fixed at. She sucked in a sharp breath when met Marcel's gaze and saw the woman that had already been here with Tristan yesterday. 

"What the hell is he doing here?" 

Her grip on Elijahs's hand tightened and the Original sighed as he realized something. 

"I should've known...This isn't a party. It's an initiation." 

She didn't really get what he was implying, but she guessed she would find out soon. The Strix were still something she had to get a deeper understanding of.

Suddenly the room went quiet as everyone stared to the stairs that led down into the ballroom. Waitresses lined up beside the guests and clinked glasses to get everyone's attention. 

An there he was. The leader of the Strix made his dramatic entrance. With a smug expression all over his face, he spoke to his minions.

"Distinguished friends, welcome. It's so rare that we are able to come together like this to revel for one night in the company of true equals."

Tristan's voice dripped of arrogance, it made Grace want to vomit. He looked around the crowd and smiled brightly when his eyes met the woman he spent a night with. After winking at her, he raised his glass and nearly everyone joined him.

"Now, I'd like to welcome some very special guests. Our noble sire, Elijah Mikaelson with his lovely companion Miss Grace Gilbert. And, last but not least, Mr Marcel Gerard."

He motioned for Marcel and the Strix clapped their hands for their newest recruit. Marcel smiled, but looked slightly confused.

"But before we tell him all of our secrets there's one small piece of business, which we must first attend. We must determine his worth."