Chapter 31

"Sure."

Grace answered before Elijah could reply anything. He didn't need to speak for her and Esther could simply address her directly and not through the man at her side.

She gave Elijah a look that she really was ok and walked away with his mother, leaving Elijah alone in the ballroom.

The women went into the now dimly lit garden side by side. Esther had intervened their arms which made Grace oddly uncomfortable. Every instinct in Grace screamed that something was off about the mother.

"It's Grace, isn't it?"

Grace nodded and didn't know what to say afterwards. She always hated meeting the moms, but with Esther the disliking was especially intense, even if she wasn't even rude or something. At least Grace had to stay polite.

"Thanks for inviting me. It was an amazing evening so far."

She was tense when she said the words and scolded herself for failing so pathetically. Usually she could keep her emotions perfectly for herself, but since Elijah had weaseled his way into her heart, she had grown soft.

Esther chuckled and came to a halt, looking around the garden.

"My boys - and Rebekah of course, have no clue how good you're for them. You bring light into the darkness, Grace. That's why I'm very happy to welcome you to our family."

It should have flattered her, but it left only coldness. This woman had no clue of who she was. If she knew, she would know that she was anything but light. She couldn't help but shake her head slightly, to which Esther tilted her head in question.

"No offense, Mrs. Mikaelson, but you don't really know me. You have amazing children, I didn't have the chance to get to know Finn and Kol better yet, but still, they are the ones that carry light. They just have to find out. Good thing we're immortal, isn't it?"

The last sentences came out sharper as intended and Esthers smile faded as she looked to the ground, but shortly after she directed her gaze back at Grace.

"On the contrary. I was forced to see the atrocities my children committed from the other side. I know your story, I've seen what Niklaus and even Elijah have done to you. Still, you are their companion."

This conversation was getting way too intense for her. She spared a glance over her shoulder to see Elijah near the window front with a frown on his face.

"Well then you also have seen what I have become over the months. You're overestimating me. I'm just as much of a monster as every vampire inside this ballroom is. Besides, you claim to have forgiven Nik, so you should be the one to understand me."

Esther seemed surprised. Probably not every girl that dated one of her sons fired back like Grace did. But Grace was done with being polite. This woman was digging into very sensitive matters and she should be warned to let it go.

"Yes, but I'm their mother. I'm very sorry that you'll never be able to witness the undying love a mother has for her children. I would honestly wish that for you and Elijah. You're so similar, you two. I'm happy that he found you."

Again with these strange compliments.

"Elijah is the one that pulled me through these horrible times, you know. His relationship with his brother inspired me to forgive Nik."

She shook her head and knew that she needed to get away from her. Grace didn't want the evening to be completely ruined by the dark memories of the past few months.

"I should get back inside."

But Esther's hand grabbed Grace's wrist lightly. She was tempted to shrug it off, so she had to bite her lip hard to prevent herself from doing it.