Chapter 53

"You're disgusting, you know that, do you?" 

Grace glared at Tyler and Caroline who put a blanket over Kol's burnt corpse. She stood beside Nik as they both couldn't pry their eyes off the youngest Mikaelson brother, while Elijah, as usual, distracted himself by figuring a way to get them all out of here. They've spent some hours locked in, there was no sign of Rebekah. She probably had went off with the others to find the cure. 

Caroline send the oldest Gilbert a look. The blonde knew herself that this was humiliating, one of the most disrespectful deeds she ever done. Sighing, she shook her head. 

"I'm sorry, Grace. We can't let you out and I'm sure you don't want a burnt corpse in your home." 

Tyler chirped in and Grace clenched her hands into fists. She started to pace in the room, so she wouldn't smash something or throw at the hybrid. 

"Thanks for your heartfelt concern, but this isn't my home anymore." 

Elijah could barely watch his love that upset. He needed to stay calm, but pure rage was close under his composed surface. The Original had enough reason to want them all dead, seeing Grace this torment only added to that pile. For all this time he only wanted peace for her, a carefree life and now he could nothing to help her. This was messing with her mind. 

"Why don't you rest a little? If we have to endure three days in here and Miss Forbes isn't generous enough to give you some blood bags, you'll need your strength." 

He sat down on the sofa and motioned for her to follow. Grace stared at him torn for a while, but in the end she decided that he was right and her pacing was senseless anyway. With a sigh, she fell down on the worn, old sofa of her former home and snuggled on Elijah's chest, leaning her head on his shoulder. Gently he pulled a blanket that had laid on the couch around her slender shoulders. 

From the corner of his eye, Elijah could see that Caroline looked at them with a torn expression, the corners of her mouth moving slightly upwards when she saw how loving Grace and Elijah acted around each other. 

"If we give Grace blood, what keeps Klaus from taking it for himself?" 

It was obvious that it was Tyler who showed his less merciful side here. The hybrid knew that Grace and Elijah weren't his enemies, still for him, they were collateral damage. He hated Klaus so deeply, he loathed the ones that stood by his sires side, too. Anyways the Mikaelsons after all stuck together. Letting one free would ruin everything. 

Nik growled at the younger hybrid's words. They grazed a part of his pride that shouldn't be messed with. 

"You can accuse me of everything you want, but do never dare to say that I could do anything to harm this girl." 

Grace lifted her head and looked over Elijah's shoulder to meet Nik's eyes. She smiled at him, touched by his words. 

"Oh, you wouldn't? Wasn't it you that killed her just to annoy your brother? Let's not forget that we're standing in the house were Jenna lived...who you sacrificed on a blood altar." 

For a split second, Elijah's hand paused caressing her shoulder as he remembered that moment of horror when he found out that Grace was turned into a vampire because of him. Grace sighed and took his hand, interlacing their fingers. 

"Just for you to know, I like him despite his...flaws. So could we please stop taking me as an example here?" 

Annoyed, she rolled her eyes, blocking the bickering that started out for a while by letting her head sink back onto Elijah's chest. She immediately calmed by just hearing and feeling the steady rhythm of his breath. Lightly, she played with his daylight ring. Never had she expected it more closely. It was a relict from a thousand years ago, but still timelessly beautiful in its simplicity.