Chapter 25

Grace was busy distracting herself from her own family drama the next day. She made sure to get her position back in the town's society. At first, she talked to Carol about getting back into the historical society. It was the much easier part, as Carol still seemed to like the older Gilbert even tough she was a vampire now. Since Tyler was a hybrid now and Carol already had figured that Grace was the only sane person in Klaus' inner circle, she was rather welcoming. 

Convincing the sheriff to get into the founder's council was quite more tricky. Of course Liz wasn't that happy about having another vampire in an actually anti-vampire-organisation. She hadn't got anything personal against Grace and she knew that it was her right to inhabit her families' place in the council. But it was already too vampire-infiltrated. Liz trusted vampires in general only to a certain degree and Grace and Damon combined could be a dangerous force. Both were unpredictable. 

Grace had to show a lot of restrain to not go straight for the sheriff's throat. Anger took over her way too easily and this conversation was a good opportunity to learn control. If she wanted to be cold and unpredictable for them, she needed to be calm and in check. 

After Liz finally realized that Grace was no threat for the community and probably a useful ally connecting to the Original family, the sheriff accepted her as a new member. Grace had what she wanted and she was very satisfied with her progress. 

In the afternoon, she tried hard to avoid everything concerning her sister and the homecoming dance. She wasn't on speaking terms with Elena and what Grace hated even more than their fight was high school dances. 

The vampire needed a day off responsibility and so she decided to lock herself up in her bedroom and read a good book while having some cups of tea. For half an hour it was actually peaceful. Elena was out preparing for the dance, so she was completely alone in the house. Like the first night she spend back in Mystic Falls the silence was 'loud', just that now it was literally loud. She could hear cars pass by and people chatting outside; animals running around in the woods, their little hearts beating fast. Even the trees made noises. But those were sounds that didn't add to the drumming of her constantly racing mind. 

Her phone broke this little moment of peace. The tunes of the 'Game of Thrones' intro disturbed the natural sounds around her. Sighing, Grace picked the phone up from her nightstand and rolled her eyes when she saw that it was Klaus. 

"What do you want?" 

She said annoyed by the interruption of her free afternoon. The hybrid laughed at her tone. 

"Bad mood, Gracie?" 

Klaus flashed one of his devious grins through the phone, Grace could literally see it right in front of her. He was joking, something wasn't right. 

"Seriously, Klaus, what is it?" 

His amusement vanished quickly. He was back to business and today it was a really pressing matter.

"Stefan just called me, telling me your sister daggered my father." 

With wide eyes Grace jumped up from her bed. Was had she gotten herself into again?

"...I don't believe a word he said." 

She shook her head, pinching the bridge of her nose to make herself think.

"He's compelled, Klaus, he can't lie." 

Grace started to pace up and down the room. She had just wanted one day off. Now he sister was close to getting killed, only because Grace had looked away for some seconds. 

"I seriously doubt their intelligence, but what I also doubt is that Elena could simply dagger my father, who I couldn't take down for a thousand years myself. They're conspiring, I'm sure of it."