Chapter 84

Grace spent the night at her room at Ariana's pension, because she had the feeling she couldn't face a Mikaelson without accidentally ripping one of them to shreds. Even Hayley was a sensitive subject again, even if she had hoped that she was on her way to get on good terms with the hybrid. 

Instead she sat on the balcony with her elderly friend and procrastinated diving back into family business by enjoying a long, late breakfast and a nice chat. 

"I sometimes still find it funny to sit in the sun with a vampire, even after all those years." 

Ariana giggled and pushed her huge sunglass into her hair. Grace lifted a brow and glanced down to her daylight ring and smiled when she remembered how she got it. 

"To be honest it sometimes really feels strange. I never had to hide from the sun, I got this little ring right away, but I still know that I'd simply roast when it'd suddenly disappear. It's like constantly tempering fate." 

She said thoughtfully, but looked back at the newspaper when the topic lazily faded. 

"Good morning, ladies!" 

Marcel's voice boomed all the way up to the balcony as he jogged by, winking at them and flashing them his pearly white teeth. While Grace just waved without looking up, Ariana winked back like some teenage girl. 

"You really slept with that?" 

Grace asked lightly disgusted by the thought. 

"Hell yes, I did. You should've seen him in the fifties. Hot damn." 

The women laughed heartily at her odd usage of modern language. 

"...and you, young lady, shouldn't tell me anything about age. The men you chose to sleep with go way beyond my count concerning age." 

Shrugging, Grace folded the newspaper and took her last sip of coffee. 

"Touche." 

Just when she wanted to lean back and enjoy the sun a while longer, she heard someone coming to a halt in front of the door downstairs, to which she frowned. She stood up and kissed Ariana's cheek, before glancing down to see someone she didn't know. With ease she jumped down from the balcony and landed behind the person, who probably was a vampire, judging by the way he carried himself. 

"Miss Gilbert?" 

"What can I do for you?" 

She lifted her chin arrogantly. The man held out a paper to her and disappeared without another word after she took it. 

Grace furrowed her brows when she read the words on the card. It was an invitation to a party tonight, at the place where she met Tristan yesterday. 

I'd be honored if you'd save me a dance. 

- T

Rolling her eyes, she sighed. What had she gotten herself into? Couldn't she get one minute of peace? 

Unfortunately this meant that she had to see Elijah now and again come up with the Tristan topic. She couldn't just waltz in there alone and Elijah had lots of explaining to do. This was part of something bigger and Grace wished nothing more than to simply rip Lucien's and Tristan's hearts out and eradicate the threat. 

Shaking her head, she tried to draw from the enjoyable morning she had and walked towards the compound only to find it empty. The second place in the city where she was likely to find Elijah was the gym at the church and judging by the strong sound of fists connecting with leather, he was right there.