Chapter 12

Grace gasped when she saw his eyes opened. A minute earlier she thought he was dead, a freaking dagger stuck out from his chest! She held the bloody item in her hand and stared from it back to Elijah.

All of a sudden Elijah moved upwards and grabbed her hand. Involuntary he touched her way too hard, Grace prayed that he wouldn't crush some bones. She was too afraid to even scream or make any sound.

"Grace."

Elijah whispered with his eyes wide open and then, Grace's vision changed, suddenly, she didn't see the grey, wet stones of the cellar anymore. In front of her was huge room, dimly lit by candles and fire. Around her was a mass of people in ancient looking clothing. Judging by the style, it was from the 14th to 15th century in England.

But Grace wasn't part of the mass surrounding her, it was like she was an observer looking at it from an outside perspective. She knew that she was still physically in the Salvatore cellar, but what happened right in front of her was something completely else.

What confused her even more was that Elijah entered the room, but not in the suited up way she knew him. He wore fitting leather clothing, those of a noble man, and wore his hair long, it nearly touched his broad shoulders. In contrary to Grace, he seemed to be part of the mass. He chatted with the people and whispered something into another man's ear. Then, his eyes directly stared into Grace. Could he see her here? Medieval-Elijah, still medieval, but not far from a shifting into the upcoming Renaissance-style, she noticed, was walking towards her and Grace's eyes widened. She had no clue what to do. But those worries puffed into thin air when he walked right through her. Confused, Grace turned around and came face to face with an even bigger shock. Elijah hadn't looked at Grace, he had focused on Elena. Or better said, Elena in a damn gorgeous period dress.

But with this realization hit Grace. If Elijah couldn't see her here...this was a memory. Set back in the time Grace had guessed from looking at the setting and the clothing. But why was Elena here? Grace stepped closer to listen into the conversation. The girl looked exactly like her sister, but it surely wasn't her. The way she spoke and carried herself, with a hidden overwhelming self confidence and a mask of shyness differed completely from Elena, the honest and brave little hero.

Another man joined the trio, and the girl's eyes widened at his sight. He was blonde with blueish-green eyes, Grace couldn't really see it from the place she stood. Elijah and him differed slightly from their shape, Elijah was much stronger built, but still they had this odd similarity that only brothers seemed to have. Still, there was something about this guy that made Grace uncomfortable.

"Niklaus, this is Katerina."

Elijah said smiling and Grace frowned. Katerina...so she was right, this definitely wasn't her sister. But before Grace could think more about it, she was ripped out of the memory and was back into the cold cellar. She felt a bit dizzy, but focused back quickly to a frightened looking Elijah.

Grace rushed back over to him when he let go of her hand and lightly shook him when his head sunk back onto the floor.

"Elijah, it's me, Grace. Please, you have to wake up."

For a moment, there was an eerie silence and then he turned around, as if he was trying to get a hold of her. He breathed heavily and with horror, Grace heard a crushing sound, like his bones were snapping back into place.

Then, he came to his feet with a way too quickly to be human, but it still was an abrupt, strange movement.

"I can't...I can't breathe...What is happening to me?"

He gasped and fell back onto his knees. Grace put her fright away and tried to steady him, but he rushed back from her to the door, but he stopped suddenly, like if he crashed into an imaginary wall. Again Grace tried to get to him, she wrapped her arms around his shaking body. His weight was on her and she nearly fell down, but her stubborn will power kept her going.