Chapter 20

The group had moved to a foolishly expensive shop with brands that Grace liked and thought would suit Rebekah. But the Original insisted on browsing through the clothing on her own, so the younger vampire just shrugged and stood back with Klaus and Stefan. Rebekah actually seemed to not believe that what Grace was wearing was the current style.

A waitress came by and handed the men glasses of champagne. Klaus threw the young woman a wolfish grin to which she handed him the whole bottle. Grace just rolled her eyes and stepped towards the hybrid. 

"Give me that damn bottle." 

He chuckled amused, but handed her the sparkling liquid, of which she took a deep sip.

"Still drowning your sorrows?" 

After placing the bottle on the table, she shot him a glare and didn't answer anything. He surely set a snarky comment in motion, but he was interrupted by his sister coming out of the changing room.

"There must be more to this dress."

She looked at herself in the mirror and then turned around to face the others, looking at Grace in question. 

"There isn't." 

Grace motioned for Klaus to make space for her and when he did, she seated herself next to him. 

"So women today look like prostitutes?" 

Then, the hybrid did something surprising. He seemed to be angered by his sister's comment.

"Does Grace look like a whore to you?" 

He said through gritted teeth, his temper raised. Grace shot him a confused gaze, to which he just shook his head and patted her shoulder.

"No one insults my hard working minions, not even my sister dearest." 

Stefan's gaze turned suspicious and also Rebekah gave them a funny look. The oldest Gilbert felt really uncomfortable about this, but she was now sure that the hybrid seemed to appreciate that she had his back. Not that she looked for his praise, but it maybe would help him get off his paranoia. 

"Thanks." 

She said shrugging. When Rebekah turned the attention back to her, Grace was honestly relieved. As much as she liked Stefan, she knew that he couldn't be trusted. It was driving her nuts that he knew about her caring for Elijah, too. If they ever would get back to Mystic Falls, the risk was high that he would spill the beans to Elena. 

Grace was caught between so many fronts. At some point she would have to choose sides.

"Well, whatever. Do you like it?"

Rebekah directed the question towards Stefan, it was obvious. Meanwhile, Grace tried to fetch the bottle of champagne again, but Klaus caught it before her and held it away for her. The hybrid seemed to be a little less grumpy today, which Grace simply allowed herself to enjoy. 

"Um...yes, I like it." 

Stefan said pretty unconvincing, to which Grace rolled her eyes and Klaus shot him a glare. He should learn some manners. Grace stood up and looked Rebekah up and down, taking matters into her own hands. 

"You can screw those opinions. The dress is something to dance on tables in a dirty bar with, surely nothing you intend to do, because you're a lady. We'll find something better." 

She went on her mission to find her something suiting and was successful. Handing her a pile of clothes, she waited in front of the curtain. 

"Nice one, Gracie. Now it'll take forever until we get out of here."