Chapter 37

Elena seemed to have understood how serious Grace's words were. In the morning, the deeds were changed, the lake house was now fully hers.

It was the first stop of their mission. Elijah and Grace would settle there for some time to figure out a plan. They needed to be away from Mystic Falls' habit of always interrupting things, so they could find and chase after leads. Adding, they needed to find a reliable witch that could trace Grace's magic. Elijah had some witches he could trust, but since Esther's reanimation became public rumor among the witches, they all have been hesitant to help the Original. But they would find a way. They always did.

Their departure didn't take long. Together with Rebekah and Klaus they had a talk about how they were supposed to go on. The duo would stay in Mystic Falls, but kept their eyes open for Finn, who would probably be easier to find and concentrate on finding them a witch to unlink them. Hugs were exchanged, all of them struggling not to be emotional. They would all see each other again. Them dying wasn't an option. But of course it still it clung to them with some kind of melancholy. It were strange times and saying goodbye must feel very scaring after a thousand years together, when there was actually a chance that they wouldn't see each other again.

Grace wouldn't cry today. She had sworn it to herself. That's why she was eager to leave town quickly, even if it felt hard to leave Klaus and Rebekah behind. The young vampire needed distance between her and all the misery this town brought to her and she desperately needed some time with Elijah. Some nights ago they had hope to have a bright future in front of them. The wish was still there, but again there were many obstacles. They had to get through this and Grace knew that Elijah was the only one that could help her process her splitting with Elena.

In silence, they walked out of the mansion and to Elijah's Porsche. After he opened the door for Grace, he flipped into the drivers seat. Grace took a deep breath in when he started the engine, which Elijah immediately noticed and looked at her, silently asking her if she was ok. Nodding, she sighed and closed her eyes, waiting for him to let the massive car roll onto the street.

It was strange what kind of emotions unfolded in Grace when they drove past the town's sign. Half a year ago she came here to reconnect with her family, watch out for them and now she fled because of them. Still, she had received so much in her time here. Grace had found a new family and a man that loved her with all of his heart.

Quickly, she pushed the dark thoughts away and forced herself to forget about this kind of drama for a while. Elijah and her had a mission, but Grace was also happy to spend some time alone with him.

She then noticed how free she felt after she exited Mystic Falls. A wide smile spread on her face, she took Elijah's hand in hers and squeezed it lightly. The Original looked at her, as always delighted when he saw her smiling like that.

"I just needed to get out of here again."

Chuckling, she shook her head. Grace knew that her overwhelming emotions must let her seem quite crazy, but she knew that Elijah understood.

The two hour drive was pretty silent, but with every mile they put between them and Mystic Falls, a very different kind of tension grew. They realized that they were all on the own. Actually it was the first time they really were alone, without any chance to be interrupted or faced with new cruelty.

Grace struggled hard with herself to not ask him to immediately stop and release the held back passion she had for him. Elijah sparing her side glances and touching her from time to time didn't make it any better. This reduced space made it hard to breathe with all the sexual tension in the air. It came out of nowhere and it overwhelmed them both.

When they reached the lake house, it was already getting dark. The last sunbeams painted the house and the surroundings in warm, soft colors. Grace knew how amazing the lake looked at that time of the day. Usually light fog would cover the surface and make it look even more magical.