Chapter 43

After she ended the call with Elijah, Grace realized how utterly alone she was now. They took Nik. Rebekah was nowhere to be heard, she probably ran for the hills. Elijah would get into his car immediately, but it still would take him hours to get here. 

She allowed herself to break down in tears, surprised by how many of them could produce in one day. Grace had no clue how long she could fight anymore. The whole tough girl act wore off. She was simply afraid of everything. There was no part in her body that wasn't in pain. Her heart couldn't bear loosing anyone else. 

After a while, the burning hunger ripped her back into reality. She was just inches away from blood bags filled with Elena's blood. At that moment, she didn't care that it was terribly wrong to drink her own sister's blood or that it was the last of the essence to create hybrids. Breathing heavily, she ripped the bag open and drank it empty onto the last drop. Hungrily she reached for two other bags filled to the rim with the still warm liquid. Strength flooded back into her limbs and determination rose in her, helped her to her feet and kept her going. 

She would get Nik back. Grace would make Mystic Falls a safe place again, whatever it takes. 

The wounds finally closed fully, so she took a moment to wash the blood off, dump the destroyed clothing in a bin and change into clean clothing. 

Sighing, she tried to figure out where to start, her thoughts feeling like they were echoing from the walls of the huge, lifeless mansion, when her phone rang. Frowning, she saw the caller was Carol and she answered. 

"Emergency council meeting. My home." 

Her voice was rushed and the mayor immediately ended the call without waiting for a response from Grace. There was something fundamentally wrong and she'd bet all the money Elijah ever spend on suits that it was connected to Alaric. 

It was like walking into the lions den. But she still had to do it. Of course it stole time to save Klaus from the Salvatores, but still the vampire hunter held the means to kill the Originals which made him the more urgent problem. 

Grace arrived at the Lockwood mansion together with Sheriff Forbes. Liz still had the lingering stare of mistrust in her eyes because she didn't trust the Mikaelsons or any addition to them, but Grace couldn't care less, she had more urgent problems. She probably had the creepy gaze on her face again. 

Carol ripped open the door before one of the women could knock. 

"It's 4am, Carol. What's so urgent?" 

The sheriff stated and Grace just lifted her eyebrows, expecting the mayor to finally explain. Council meetings always had their quite dramatic touch, Grace couldn't say that she felt comfortable in the middle of this vampire hating bunch. 

"I didn't call in the meeting...He did." 

She grabbed both Grace's and Liz' arms and dragged them inside. Of course it was Alaric. He stood in front of the whole lot of council members that mumbled obviously nervous. They all had no idea what was going on her. But Grace immediately new when she met the coldly amused eyes of the former history teacher. He was going to out them all in front of the council to get control over the town. This was a vampire hunt and Grace was the only vampire present at the moment. 

While shock stood written all over Liz' face, the young vampire's gaze just turned into a scowl, not leaving eye contact with Alaric. She crossed her arms in front of her chest and lifted her chin arrogantly. At least she had her facade in perfect control. 

"I was just telling the council about our vampire problem. Or should I say your problem?" 

Carol, Liz and Grace stood together in front of the door and stared at Alaric. Grace was the only one to keep her composure properly.