Chapter 80

Grace and Elijah were on their feet before anyone else, already being used to sudden catastrophes, they worked together perfectly. The Original pulled out a large shard out of his chest, but other than that, he only looked pissed that his five thousand dollar suit was ruined. He had shielded Grace mostly with his body, so they were just smaller splinters piercing her skin. 

The attacker seemed to have vanished, he was nowhere to be seen in the large room. Groans could be heard all around them from the injured people and the scent of hell a lot of blood hit her sensitive senses. The usual burning in her throat lit up, but over the years she had learnt to control it perfectly. 

Her gaze fell onto Elena and her eyes widened in shock when she saw that her sister laid on the floor lifelessly. She had been closest to the bursting window, but at least it didn't seem that she bleed to much. Damon was already crouching over her, yelling for his brother while trying to feed her blood. 

"Elijah!" 

Grace said and the Original was immediately beside her. She hoped that his Original blood could heal her faster and he seemed to have the same thought, as he pressed his wrist onto her mouth. But she just didn't react, she didn't drink the blood, but her heart was still beating and she was breathing. Something was fundamentally wrong here. 

"Get her to a hospital." 

Elijah stated calmly, as always the only one who could think straight in all this chaos. Grace was so thankful for that. 

Damon looked at Elijah first and then adverted his gaze to his brother who nodded agreeing with what the Original said. Within the blink of a second, he had cradled Elena in his arms and disappeared with her. 

The remaining vampires looked at the people around them slowly becoming conscious again. Elijah was already on his way to feed the witches his blood. 

"That was cool, wasn't it?" 

Suddenly, Kai's voice sounded from behind them and all four vampires swung around to lunge at him, but the witch was prepared. With ease he snapped all their heads with a flick of his wrist.

...

"Grace. Grace, wake up." 

Elijah's soft voice made it's way into her painfully throbbing head. Her hand reached for her neck when her eyes shot open and she remembered that still laid in the middle of a massacre. As if this was something unusual. 

With a sigh, she sat up. 

"Where the hell is everyone?" 

She asked confused when she saw that Stefan and Caroline had vanished. But then she took in the sight of blood coughing witches and she raised her brows in surprise. 

"Caroline and Stefan were gone when I woke...."

Elijah helped her to her feet and noticed her questioning glance. He had been awake for a while longer. 

"...it seems the witches were linked to this...abomination. He killed himself shortly after taking us out." 

Grace felt dizzy as she was overwhelmed by all this information. Nodding, she spared a short look at the dying witches before she took Elijah's hand.

"I need to see my sister." 

They immediately started walking towards the exit of the shattered hall, stepping over some corpses to be. It was so surreal how one psychopath could cause so many death within less than an hour. 

Outside, they were greeted by the full moon shining brightly and a shiver ran down Grace's spine, as if something in her told her, that she wasn't save outside here. And as if faith wanted to prove instincts right, screams, growls and the signature sound of snapping bones could be heard from not too far away. It were the noises of a turning werewolf, something Grace and Elijah were very familiar with.