Chapter 51

The trio went back to Mystic Falls after they assumed that Damon and Jeremy ditched them. It was a silent, nearly peaceful drive up until the moment when they got into the mansion and found a surprise guest waiting for them.

"Elena?" 

Grace said surprised when she saw her sister sitting on the porch. The doppelgänger stood up and approached her sister, noticing the suspicious gazes of Elijah and Grace, while Klaus kept his amused grin. 

"Grace, Kol has Damon captive...he threatens to kill Jeremy to keep us from finding the cure." 

The older sister's eyes widened, but before she could say anything, Nik spoke first.

"Not to keep us from finding the cure, he wants to prevent that Silas is woken...which he may actually have a point with." 

His tone was mocking while he unlocked the door and let them all in. 

"I don't care what Kol wants or not, but there's no one in hell that he'll touch my brother." 

Grace hissed, on the edge of her nerves from one second to the other. Elijah looked at her with worry, but didn't try to calm her. She had all right to be angry. Again the Original couldn't be more ashamed of his little brother. 

"You want to find the cure as much as we do, Klaus."

Elena's gaze adverted to Elijah, ironically the one that she thought she could reason with more.

"...so please, I beg you, stop your brother." 

 It was again a showing of Elena being hypocritical, wasn't she the one who was against the relationship of her older sister and the Original? Now she tried to ask something from him. Grace couldn't care less at this moment because she was occupied with cursing Kol Mikaelson to death, but still she just couldn't stop finding matters to bicker over with her sister whenever she saw her. 

"Don't worry, I'll make him." 

She was beyond mad when she pulled out the phone and dialed Kol's number. 

"Oh, Gracie graces me with a call. What can I do for you, sweetheart?" 

Kol had the audacity to laugh about his pun, which made Grace swallow a growl. 

"There are some things. First, go to hell. Second, leave my brother alone. Third, bring some balls of steel if you dare to come home." 

She heard Nik chuckle about her hilarious statement and she elbowed him hard in the ribs. Despite her worry about Jeremy, Elena watched the dynamic between the Mikaelsons and Grace curiously. They really acted like a family. 

"I'm honestly sorry that the collateral damage has to be your little brother, but I can't let you raise Silas." 

Suddenly, Nik stole the phone from her hands and growled into it.

"Do you want a dagger in your heart, Kol?" 

Grace groaned and quickly got her phone back, but Nik held it away from her. Dagger-threats were exactly what wasn't productive here. She needed to Kol to trust his family, to talk him into letting go of Jeremy. The oldest Gilbert had no clue what she'd do if Kol really murdered her brother. It would probably end in hell a lot of bloodshed and a vendetta that would even teach Kol Mikaelson, the most wild of them all, some fear. 

In the end it was Elijah that took the phone from his brother's hands and sighed. 

"Little brother, I recommend you to come home so we can settle this like family. Do not touch Jeremy Gilbert."