Chapter 64

It was the first night Grace spent in the compound and it was horrible. After Marcel and Hayley revealed that they had captured Finn and Kol, Grace had decided to sleep in the Mikaelson's home because she was sure that she wouldn't have one calm minute in the pension. 

But of course it wasn't any better here. She could hear the racing hearts of their prisoners and their sounds of pain, which was pretty disturbing. Anyway, what robbed her off her sleep was Elijah. His bedroom was right next to the one she stayed in for tonight and she could easily hear him panting and tossing around in bed, tormented by nightmares. Whenever he woke up, Grace found herself sitting upright, ready to go over to him. But something kept her glued to spot. She wanted to be there for him, but this was simply too much. Elijah couldn't think that she was forgiving him. 

When daylight finally lit the old building, the wheel of actions continued to roll. Elijah, Nik and Grace sat on their stools at the dining table with Finn and Kol still in chains.

She felt Kol's lingering stare on her all the time and it annoyed the hell out of her. But she just gave him a cool smile. The lack of sleep and all the worry made her sensitive, but these little traitors wouldn't know that this was getting to her. 

"It's impolite to stare at a woman that bluntly, Kol." 

Elijah hissed. He obviously failed at the task that Grace mastered so easily, which was unusual for him. Esther had gotten to the root of his mind and he suffered, but it was also showing on his actions. 

"Oh, don't be jealous, brother. It just surprised me that she's still sticking around with you, I thought she wasn't that stupid. But well judging by her taste in men..." 

"Don't you dare insult her. She's done more for this family than you ever will." 

The Original vampire grabbed the knife that laid next to the plate and clutched it tightly. Grace feared that he would stick it through Kol's skull any second and she spared Nik a worried glance, who just shook his head amused. 

"Elijah, I can speak for myself, if you don't mind. And please, don't let this brat get to you, he's obviously not the position to do anything more than bark like a puppy." 

She looked Kol right in the eyes while she calmly said the words. 

"Anyway, brothers, we want you to turn away from your hatred towards us and channel your ire she who truly deserves it; our mother. Do this, and we'll welcome you with open arms." 

Finn kept his stoic expression, while Kol reached for the sweets that were placed on plates in front of him, but Nik pulled it away from him. 

"Otherwise, the denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns." 

While Nik proposed his offer, Grace watched Elijah from the side. He was fiddling with the knife and the sleeves of his suit jacket. Right now, he was the one that was giving away too much emotion that could be used against him. 

"If you just wanted my allegiance towards mother dearest, you should've said so. Would've spared me a night shackled to the wall." 

This was all the Kol Grace got the know all this time ago. He only lived for his own good, flipping sides not for loyalty, but for his advantage. They could never really trust him. 

"That was all Niklaus. I would've recommended to tear out your limbs until you comply." 

Grace brows shot up at this little violent outburst and immediately kicked him under the table. Elijah looked at her, his lips pressed into a thin line. He was barely holding it together. They needed to get him out of here.