Chapter 82

Grace laid outstretched on the large sofa in the compound with a frown on her face. Lost in thought she poked her belly. She could swear her body was somehow changing.

"No, darling, you aren't fat."

Nik teased with a sly grin on his face, drinking a shot of bourbon. He stood on the balcony and looked over his shoulder to her.

She rolled her eyes and leaned back, staring to the ceiling.

"I've been at that crime scene earlier. This could endanger the vampire community...The detective is definitely shady...and Cami is involved. We should intervene, Nik."

The hybrid turned quiet and gripped his glass tighter when she mentioned Cami. The fact that he cared deeply for her bothered him. It was ruining his facade.

But what bothered him even more was that he couldn't talk to Grace about his fears. She was the only one that was close to truly understand him. Still, he had no clue how to regain her trust. At least she was being civilized.

"Why don't you tell that to your boyfriend? He knows how to handle such threats as much as I do."

Grace groaned and shook her head.

"Elijah is busy with the wolves. Which is quite the reversed logic if I may add. Seems I really have to take care of that myself."

She jumped off from the couch, but suddenly Nik stood in front of her.

"If it is really Lucien, you can't fight him on your own. He'll rip you to shreds without blinking."

The young vampire crossed her arms in front of her chest offended.

"Oh, he does care. Well, but as you're so busy standing around and annoy people, I can't wait for you to help me, so..."

But before Nik could reply to her sassy words, a loud, booming voice sounded through the compound.

"Klaus!"

It was Jackson. Grace's eyes went wide when she saw the werewolf in his human form standing in the living room. How could that be?

"I knew I smelled swamp."

Grace immediately stepped in between Nik and Jackson. Not because she wanted to step up for Nik, it was to protect Jackson from being stupid enough to attack the hybrid.

Elijah stepped in behind Jackson, a worried expression washing over his face when he saw that Grace stood in between the raging men. She nodded at him reassuringly that she was ok.

"Hayley's been missing. Nothing could've stopped her from seeing her little girl. What have you done to her?"

The hybrid snarled at the wolves' words and tried to push Grace away, but she just glared at him, daring him to try it.

"Are you accusing me of something, Jackson? Well, migration patterns in wolves have changed I heard, try Georgia."

He was pushing Jackson to the edges and the wolf shuffled closer, Grace felt like she was choked by all this testosterone. Sighing, she put a hand on Jackson's chest, stopping him again. He looked down to her, obviously stating that he didn't want to hurt her, but he would if she tried to stop him from fighting Nik any further.

"I was with him the whole day. He hasn't done anything. You can trust me, Jack."

The wolf and the vampire shared a long glance, but Jackson then sighed and stepped back, believing her.

"Thank you, Gracie. You're the first one today who isn't accusing me of anything."

Grace herself couldn't understand why she always protected Nik. It was senseless anyway. But she couldn't have that her family was breaking apart even more. Still, his mocking tone annoyed her heavily.