Chapter 27

On half the way to the Mikaelson estate Grace stopped in her tracks. Doubt washed over her. It wasn't that easy. She couldn't just walk in there and continue the way things were developing between her and Elijah. First, he was probably sorting out some serious family problems with Klaus. Second, Grace wasn't the same person Elijah left when his brother daggered him. She wasn't the fragile damsel in distress anymore. Grace was a monster now, taught by the master of all monsters himself. Third, she couldn't bear seeing Klaus right now.

She was beyond mad. He honestly had the audacity to use her. They planned it all together, Grace did so much for him and he didn't even call her when he got the coffins back. Plus, it was Damon who brought Elijah back to the living. Klaus probably would have spent more time keeping them around in coffins, just to avoid the confrontation.

Grace needed a more clever plan. One with whom she could buy herself time to think, because when it came to Elijah her mind tended to stop working. Damon surely had an agenda when he decided to free Grace's love. Maybe she should follow him and wait it out. Better sooner than later, she didn't really trust her own judging anymore.

After a while of creepily standing in the middle of the road, she went back home and decided to wait things out. Of course she couldn't sleep that night. Every cell in herself urged her to see Elijah. But for some more hours she had to be cleverer. She needed to be alone with him and Klaus was probably sticking all over him to prevent anyone, including Grace, to fill him in on everything before Elijah heard his side of the story.

The night dragged on and Grace forced herself to stay in bed at least until the sun rose. It wasn't long before she was near the Salvatore's home. She was sure that Damon would meet Elijah, which would hopefully lead to her getting to know what they were planning. More than any person in this world she trusted Elijah, but she was sure that he wouldn't simply forgive his brother everything he had done. Especially what he had done to Grace. At some point she must tell him. But also why she decided to leave her hatred for him behind.

Thankfully, it was easy to follow the older Salvatore as he wasn't paying much attention. Adding, Grace learnt some stealth tricks while tracking down werewolves together with Klaus.

At a clearing in the middle of the woods he stopped, answering his phone. It was Elena, but Grace didn't listen into the conversation. She roamed the clearing with her eyes, sure that this was Damon's goal.

Even tough she awaited the moment for months now, she wasn't prepared at all. She had feared that things would be different, that she wouldn't feel the same way anymore. That it had all been a stupid, immature dream. The feelings she had when she was still human faded with every day, but now they came all crashing back into her. Grace hadn't known him for long, but she always knew that he was the person that inspired the greatest kind of feelings in her.

Her knees went weak when she saw him standing in the middle of the clearing. He appeared out of nowhere, his hands shoved inside the pockets of his pants, jacket and tie neatly fixed. A serious expression, with a hint of amusement was on his face. She almost had forgotten how handsome he was.

Grace forced herself to not move a muscle and eavesdrop. But she couldn't concentrate on the conversation. She got the most important snippets, it was clear that Damon's agenda was opening the last coffin and he asked for Elijah's help in the matter. The Original agreed partly, he would buy him some time by organizing a little dinner party.

Damon left after the men both nodded a goodbye. This was Grace's chance. She could talk to him alone, without anyone listening in. Just as Elijah turned around to leave, Grace appeared behind him.

Suddenly, they were face to face. Elijah's eyes widened and his lips parted in surprise. Grace didn't want to know how many emotions and expressions were visible on her face. She probably looked damn pathetic. Tears shot into her eyes and threatened to spill.