Chapter 81

"I seriously can't imagine you with long hair." 

Grace chuckled while putting ketchup on a sandwich. A month had passed since their trip to Mystic Falls and it was the night of the full moon. Which meant that the Original and the younger vampire were preparing some food for the wolves. 

While doing that Elijah told her a bit about the past, precisely the time shortly after the family turned into vampires and the first years of the siblings running from Mikael. It was heavily interesting for the history student to hear his tales and she couldn't get enough of it. 

Elijah chuckled while she passed him the sandwiches so he could finish them. 

"Not our finest time...but we stuck together as a family back then. I foolishly thought that it could always be like this, that I could keep us together. But immortality was beyond our grasp back then. We didn't know how long 'forever' could be." 

His expression darkened slightly and Grace looked at him with a light, cheering smile and quickly changed the topic. 

"I never would've thought that I'd prepare food for freakin' werewolves." 

It seemed as if she brought Elijah's thoughts back in the now, but to be honest the current situation wasn't much better. Every full moon they were reminded that Hope was growing up without her mother. 

"Me neither." 

Grace grabbed herself another sandwich, she had already eaten two of them, but she still craved more, which was pretty unusual for her. 

"Hell, these are just sooo good." 

She mumbled while eating and Elijah raised his brows in surprise and shot her an amused look. 

"Are you going to leave some over or do I have to order more?" 

He teased and Grace playfully slapped his arm. It quickly turned into tickling and both of them laughed. Elijah pulled her into his arms and held her to stop her from tickling him. She wrapped her arms around her neck and the laughter died as a certain pleasurable tension arose. Elijah was about to kiss her when from the corner of their eyes someone moved in the doorframe, gasped and quickly stepped back. The Original sighed and Grace rolled her eyes as they pulled apart. 

"You can come out, Cami." 

Grace called for the blonde who was red as a tomato in embarrassment for interrupting their moment. 

"I'm so sorry!" 

Cami bit her lip but stepped towards the vampires. Elijah smiled and turned back to the kitchen counter to continue with the sandwiches. 

"It's alright, Cami. Can we help you with something?" 

The human looked at the table where all the food was at display and felt even worse. She forgot that it was a full moon. 

"Yes, you actually can. Vincent Griffith put me on a crime scene investigation. Some rich kid was murdered...drained of blood...I was thinking..." 

Grace suppressed a grin. 

"Vampire? It's a been a while since I've killed someone. Elijah?" 

The Original shook his head without looking up. 

"None of us leaves bodies at display, Camille. We know better." 

Elijah knew that she probably went to Marcel first with her question, considering that there were quite some new, young vampires in the city. But they were in check. He wondered why he came to them, Camille knew that neither Grace or him were endangering the cities' peace.