Chapter 59

It took them nearly an hour to explain to Grace what happened in the time she hadn't spent with them. A burning headache bothered her overloaded mind and the bourbon just wouldn't ease it properly. 

"So you're telling me that nearly the whole city was about to kill a baby, which made you send her away with Beks. Why aren't we simply killing them all? We fought tougher enemies if I remember right." 

Elijah sighed, impatiently tapping his foot. She was exactly repeating Niklaus' thoughts and it didn't play into his hands if she was on his brother's side in this. 

"The white oak stake disappeared the night everything went wrong. We don't know who has it." 

Grace leaned back, thinking it through. He was right with what he said, but it was obvious that Hope needed to return home soon. It was driving Nik and Hayley mad. She felt so sorry for the young mother. Dealing with becoming a hybrid and not being able to be with her daughter was beyond horrible. Nik and her were suffering.  A minute ago Hayley vanished to god know where, leaving Grace alone with Nik and Elijah. Something strange then happened. Elijah stared after her, a desperate look on his face. Was he just worried about the mother of his niece or was there more? And why did Grace even bother? She shouldn't care about this. 

"Well then we need to find out, Elijah. This can't go on like this, I'm not even here for an hour and I'm already depressed as hell. We located all the rings, the Guerras don't know who I am, I could easily weasel my way into their home, it'll take me less than a day." 

Both brothers shot her a serious look. 

"Not happening." 

They said in unison, to which Grace rolled her eyes. At least they were finally at peace, united and fought side by side. 

Suddenly, they were distracted by echoing footsteps in the hall. Nik disappeared, leaving Grace to send a questioning glance at Elijah. 

"It's Camille. Niklaus and her have a special kind of connection." 

Grace's eyebrows rose when she recognized the name. 

"Camille? The bartender?" 

They could literally hear the scene unfolding downstairs. Nik was appearing out of Camille's eyesight, but she seemed to feel his presence. But the hybrid didn't dare to speak to her. It was nearly beautifully tragic. It was obvious that there was some unfinished business. 

"Bartender...psychologist...friend. She helped us a lot in the passing year. She's good for him." 

Just like Caroline. Grace added in her mind and smiled lightly. 

The blonde girl went up the stairs and Elijah seemed to see the need to release her from the eerie atmosphere. She must be frightened, it was quite scary if you had the feeling of being watched in a house that was filled to the brim with vampires.

"He doesn't wish to see you." 

He stepped out of the room, behind Camille. Grace rushed past them and sat on the handrail, facing them. The human girl was startled by the sudden appearing of the two figures around her. She took a deep breath, trying to compose herself.

"Elijah...where the hell did you come from?" 

Grace chuckled, while Elijah walked towards her with an unreadable expression. He definitely changed, too. She could still see the warmth in his eyes, but he grew a lot more colder in the past year. 

"I beg your pardon...aren't you the one trespassing?"

"Elijah, don't be so impolite. What he actually wanted to say is 'hello, Camille, we're worried because it's quite dangerous to come here at these times. Maybe you should go back home.'"