Chapter 66

"Grace, wait. Please!" 

He was by her side the second she stepped on the grass covered ground in fron of the house. She ignored him and continued to walk, not sure where she was actually headed. To be honest she couldn't properly concentrate on anything, her mind was just to filled with what she just saw. It hurt so much. 

Of course he wouldn't leave her side. Not like this. Elijah grabbed her wrist to stop her from pointlessly walking around. He deeply wanted to apologize, he knew that this was the most insensitive thing he ever did. 

"No, Elijah. Don't worry, I don't even know why I bother. It's really ok, we're not together, it's long over and I...I'm pathetic." 

She tried to wiggle free off his grip, but he didn't let go. He caught her gaze, he needed her to look him in the eyes. Elijah knew that this was her way of hiding her true feelings. 

"You're far from pathetic, Grace. Forgive me, this was...I hurt you, again. Every time I promise myself that I will never do this to you ever again, it just...I'm sorry. I truly am." 

The pain became unbearable and she needed all of her strength to keep herself from breaking apart right in front of him. She needed to be strong, she couldn't allow herself to be weak. 

"It's not just hurting me, Elijah, it's killing me. But it's not you who does that, it's me. Do you even know how hard it is to hate you? I simply can't. We're pushing each other away one minute and the other, we're so close...But I just don't have the guts to walk away from this. I could simply go, Nik might be sad, but you'd all survive without me. Which would mean that I had to face the fact that I'm an utterly useless mess."

Elijah sighed and his shoulders sunk down in defeat. He hated himself for letting her feel this way. Somehow he had to let her now that she was everything for him and very far from useless. Slowly and carefully, he placed his hand on her neck and pulled her close. She leaned her forehead against his shoulder and took a deep breath to calm herself. 

"Even Hayley...seriously, Elijah, I like her. Isn't that weird?" 

A hysteric giggle rose in her chest and Elijah couldn't help but chuckle lightly. 

"I think 'weird' is a very fitting term for our current situation." 

They just stood there for a while in silence until they've both calmed their overwhelming emotions. 

The literally painful awkwardness in the house never faded until Nik came back to the safe house with Cami the next morning. It was another heartbreaking and upsetting moment when the blonde bartender and Hope met, because Grace knew how important that woman was to Nik. 

She hadn't seen much of her since the day she arrived here and it took Nik a while to fully explain what happened in the mean time. Grace had a nagging bad feeling about Rebekah, mostly because she didn't trust Kol that much. 

It was a good idea to leave Cami here, she needed protection as much as Hope did and it maybe would leave Grace some time to help Elijah. She knew that he wouldn't open up that much to the psychologist, but she needed any help she could get. 

When Hayley went back to New Orleans, it grew a lot more quieter and much less awkward, which was something Grace needed so much. Elijah on the other hand seemed rather pissed because of brother left his personal therapist to fix him. Getting 'fixed' was something he resented deeply, he believed that no one could help him with what he endured. His stubbornness made him turn away from any chance to open up. 

At least Grace was trying to be nice. She had some small talk with Cami while they were getting Hope ready for a nap, before entering the kitchen, where Elijah tapped his finger impatiently on the table. None of them had an idea what he was waiting for.