Chapter 63

Nik arrived the second the last sand fell through the hourglass. Grace had heard the fighting outside, but her eyes were fixed on this damn thing, anxiously waiting until she was finally free.

With every second the trembling and spasms that shook Elijah's body became worse. He suffered, in a way that probably no one could imagine. 

"Grace." 

Her friend whispered when he saw he in that salt circle. But she didn't really pay attention to him, because when the boundary finally fell, she rushed over to Elijah and broke the goddamn doll that hung above his head. Limb, he fell against Grace and Nik quickly hurried over to help her hold his body upright. 

"Wake up. Please, Elijah, wake up!" 

She shook his shoulders, but of course this was of no use. Esther must've spelled him to sleep, or he was so deeply caught in his own mind that he couldn't wake up. 

"Nik, we need to do something!" 

Her voice was desperate and the hybrid looked at her bewildered. He himself for once didn't know what to do. Fear stood written in his eyes. 

"He will wake up when his mind is cleansed." 

Esther entered the tomb and Nik jumped to his feet, hovering in front of Grace and Elijah protectively. Grace didn't listened to much of Nik's and his mothers conversation, she still tried to shake Elijah awake and freed him off the ripped off shackles around his wrist. She begged to wake up, while tears ran over her cheeks. It's been quite some time since she's been afraid like that. Now she was even locked out of his mind, she hadn't have a vision since Esther but him to this wretched sleep. 

Suddenly, she heard chocking sounds and from the corner of her eyes she saw the witch falling to the ground while Nik quickly hurried over. He didn't kill her current body, so at least she wouldn't body jump again. 

"We need to get him home." 

At least he could think halfway straight. Nik placed his brother's arm over his shoulder and Grace mimicked the movement before they pulled Elijah to his feet. Grace herself wasn't at her strongest, but she simply ignored the aching of her tired muscles and the burning sensation in her throat, longing for some blood. 

When they arrived at the compound, they carefully placed him on his bed and Grace collapsed beside him. Her hands were shaking out of exhaustion. She felt Nik's worried gaze on her and she took a deep breath. 

"You're weak, Gracie. You need to feed." 

Of course, she sure as hell did. And she could simply leave and care for herself. Elijah didn't stay by her side, so why should she? But she simply couldn't leave now. That was her weakness. A part of her still cared deeply for that man, even though she seemed to loathe him on the surface. 

"Yeah, it would be kind if you could fetch me a blood bag...and a pair of jeans. I'll change him in the mean time." 

Nik bit his lip torn and looked at his best friend. He knew that it wasn't easy for her. It was a lot for her to process and Nik didn't even know for sure what she had seen in the time his mother had locked her and Elijah. 

"Are you sure? I could take that over if you don't feel comfortable." 

But Grace just chuckled and got to her feet.

"I really hope I've seen him naked more often than you. So yes, I can handle it." 

The hybrid smiled lightly, pleased that at least her humor never seemed to fade. He spared another look at her before he disappeared to get her some blood.