Chapter 8

Grace didn't see Elijah again for the night. She saw him disappearing with Damon somewhere, but none of them was to be seen again after that. The young woman hoped that they didn't got into any kind of quarrel on her party.

She tried do get her mind of her little disappointment and admired her work. Everyone told her how awesome the evening was and Carol even told her that she was very happy to see the historical society back to it's charm.

Late in the evening, after every guest had left, she went home herself and directly fell into her bed exhausted. It was good, like that she didn't overthink that thing with Elijah too much. He had seemed like he avoided her, maybe their flirting had gotten too much for him. Maybe he wasn't interested in her after all. Grace tried hard to not let it hurt her and forced herself to sleep, which worked perfectly after this eventful day.

In the morning, Grace enjoyed the thought of being alone in the house when she woke up. Elena was still with Stefan in the lake house and Jeremy probably was out with his friends and would later one work in the Grill.

But she completely forgot about John. She was in quite the good mood as she walked down to the kitchen. Successfully she had pushed yesterday's thoughts away. John ruined her mood immediately. She rolled her eyes and was about to turn around and leave when she saw her, but she decided to handle it like an adult and face him. It was her home after all.

"Good morning, Grace."

He poured himself a cup of coffee. Instead of asking her if she wanted a coffee, too, he just sat down. What a gentleman.

"Good morning, John."

Grace faked a smile before she fixed herself a cup with a lot of milk in it. She never really had liked the bitter flavor of coffee.

"Where's Elena? I haven't seen her this morning."

John looked up to her and Grace jumped onto the kitchen counter and grabbed a newspaper, quickly skimming the headlines.

"She's with Stefan at the lake house."

She didn't lift her glance as she answered as she read the article about the newest animal attacks with a frown. What kind of animal did this? And since when did people die in Mystic Falls, except for car accidents and old age?

"Who allowed her that?"

John's voice was harsh which made Grace look up. She lifted a brow at him as he peaked her temper, but she tried to hold it back.

"I did. As legal guardian I can."

She crossed her arms in front of her chest sassily.

"Oh, I think not for long anymore, Grace. But what do I wonder? You've always been the black sheep of the family. No one can expect you do change into someone with a sense of responsibility."

Her hands clenched into fists as she tried to control her facial expression. The little twitching of her upper lip was the only thing that gave away that she was about to explode.

Grace got up from the kitchen counter and walked slowly to John who had stood up, too. She eyed him like prey, which made her sweet face look quite scary.

"Dearest John, if my memory serves me right, I remember you being even more in the darker shade of the families' blacklist. But the funny thing is, you don't have any power over me, being Elena's father or not. Right now I'm the rightful owner of this house, because I'm the keeper of Elena's and Jeremy's fortune until they're eighteen. That means, you can't do anything to me. But I can call the police and tell that you're trespassing whenever I want. Who's in charge here now?"