Chapter 52

It was ironic how they all slipped back into their more hostile selves just a day after they pretended to be a perfect dysfunctional family. The morning after, Nik, Elijah and Grace sat in their living room, conspiring against Kol, discussing which was the best way to take him out and save Jeremy and Damon with it. Of course the matter of simply killing Damon came to surface, but they all knew that that wouldn't stop Kol. The easiest way was to dagger the Mikaelson brother and keep him in a box until Grace's little brother lived a healthy human life. 

Grace drowned shots of Bourbon in desperation and earned worried glances from Elijah whenever she took a sip. He knew that she only drank when she was trying to bury something inside herself and Elijah was sure that she felt guilty for even thinking of daggering his little brother. She had fought for Elijah when he laid in that box, but no one would do that for Kol. Still, she certainly knew that it was inevitable to save her own brother. At least that way no one had to die. 

The Original vampire rubbed soothing circles on her back. 

"Rebekah has the last remaining dagger. We need her to hand it over." 

Sighing, Grace shook her head at Nik's words. 

"Which she won't do because she doesn't trust you one bit. Understandably." 

The hybrid stood up and started to pace around the which drove Grace nuts. She had the deep urge to throw her glass at him. So much trouble had come up because he had to dagger Rebekah and lie about it. 

"Elijah, why don't you use your brotherly charms and make her?" 

He came to a halt in front of his brother who now rolled his eyes. Elijah hated standing in the middle in this feud. The Original would've loved to deny his younger brother this, but he knew that he didn't have a choice in this. 

"I won't persuade her by force, Niklaus. I'll need time. Let's hope that she realize that I would never use it against her." 

His words were nearly a sour hiss. Every fiber of his body hated this plan. Elijah knew that he often enough had his hands in Niklaus' plans to dagger Kol in the past, but he had sworn to himself that this would stop by now. He knew how it felt. The never ending darkness. The feeling of utter loneliness and valuable time taken from him. 

"Great, I'll send you some help." 

Nik dialed a number and spoke to Stefan who should help charm Rebekah into handing the dagger over. Grace threw a worried glance at her love, but he only nodded, reassuring her that he was ok. 

"Stefan just asked if we could take over prison duty for a compelled Salvatore brother. Up for it, Gracie?" 

She nodded and jumped to her feet after drowning the last shot of booze. The amber liquid burnt down her throat while she stretched her tense muscles. 

Grace couldn't care less about Damon's well being, but she knew that Nik's temper was too easily lit by the snarky Salvatore's comments and Grace had to admit that it had something calming to see Damon desiccate. 

Surprisingly, Nik behaved. Even though Damon couldn't help but mock him for trying to get advice out of him to make Caroline forgive him. Grace actually found it cute. Killing Carol was an action of his more darker personality, he didn't really think the consequences through and now he was trying to make up for it. This was character development and Grace had to admit that she was a little proud. 

Still there was this dark cloud hanging over them. 

He's not good enough for you.

Has he ever really seen the way his brother was treating her? To him, she was the most precious being on the world. Elijah handled her with respect and all the love she could wish for. But despite Grace being sure of what Elijah felt for her, Nik had planted doubt in her. She knew that there was a part in Elijah that was savage and cruel and that she had yet to see the amount of it. Grace knew that he would literally do everything for his family. What she was more afraid of was that she could be sure of the fact that she would love him anyways. The young vampire would probably stay by his side even if he committed the darkest deeds possible.