Chapter 7

Panic crept up inside Grace. What were they up to? She definitely was in serious danger and no one could hear her from her position. The men drew closer to her and her back pressed against her car. She was trapped. They could do everything they wanted to her.

But not without her giving in quietly. She was about the hit the guy closest to her in her face when all of a sudden someone appeared in front of her. His broad shoulders blocked her view, she could only see the those shoulders were in a suit jacket. Elijah. Relief flooded through her, but it was short termed. There were 6 men and Elijah was all on his own. He would get hurt, because of her. She wanted to stop him from doing something stupid, but her legs passed out so she had to steady herself on her car. 

What happened next was like a blur. An unbearable high pitched tone rang in her ears. She heard her own fast, short breaths and her hear beating rapidly. Was that what a panic attack felt like? Grace couldn't really see what happened right in front of her, because she had to concentrate on breathing. But she lost control of herself and her small figure went lip against the car. Her vision turned fully black and she felt herself falling to the ground. Before she could feel the pain of hitting the street under her, she felt nothing at all. 

...

In the morning Grace set up with a gasp. Sweat covered her forehead. She had to calm herself and look around to see that she was at home, in her bed, wrapped in her warm blankets. Save. For a moment what she experienced felt like a dream, but she was sure it had been reality. But she couldn't remember what had happened after Elijah arrived. Was he well? 

Grace grabbed her phone and was about to call him when she saw that a small paper was left on her nightstand. There were words on it, scribbled in an elegant handwriting. It took a while for Grace before she could even read them, she had to focus intensely as her mind was racing. 

I'm truly sorry for this inconvenience.                                                                                                                    See you tonight,                                                                                                                                                                       - Elijah

Inconvenience?! That was the understatement of the year. They both could've gotten badly hurt, or even killed. Grace didn't want to imagine what a group of drunk bastards were able to do. 

Of course he wasn't hurt. Those attackers surely wouldn't have gotten her to her bed safely and unharmed. It was a relief that they both got of this well. Still Grace wondered he could've taken on those men all on his own. 

More and more questions wandering around Elijah and her siblings plopped up in her mind and with every new question mark she got more and more confused. But right now she couldn't do much against it. The only thing she could do was get up, behave like a adult and be there for her siblings. 

Then she remembered her argument with Elena. Grace gently stroked the handwriting on the paper and sighed. She still was beyond mad and she would show Elena the cold shoulder for a while, but deep inside her she could never be angry concerning her sister for long. 

Just then someone knocked on her door. Elena's head peeked through the door when Grace allowed her to come in. Her sisters expression was torn and she chewed her bottom lip, not knowing how to act towards Grace. 

"What do you want?" 

Grace rolled her eyes as she spoke and got out of the bed. Elena was back from her sleepover at Caroline's so it must be pretty late. She should hurry, she had a reception to prepare at the Lockwood estate.