Chapter 18

Not long after, Stefan, Klaus and Grace were hiking up the mountain. Stefan was carrying Ray's dead body over his shoulder with an annoyed look on his face.

They heard voices in the distance, probably the werewolf pack Ray belonged to. He finally had spilled the beans about their whereabouts shortly after Stefan and Grace had recovered from the emotional breakdowns and went back into the bar to a very satisfied Klaus who had just broke the werewolves neck after feeding him his blood.

The trio plus the soon-to-be undead companion arrived at a clearing where around a dozen of wolves feasted before their group turning. Grace shivered slightly at the thought of so many lethal fangs near her. Stefan also looked very uncomfortable.

He dropped Ray's body to the ground, getting the attention of all the people around them. Their eyes widened in shock when they saw their pack member dead on the cold ground.

Grace stood a bit away from the action, leaning against a tree and watching the scene cautiously. She had no real part in this, she was simply on the lookout for any sneak attacks. Even tough Klaus didn't need any protection of course, she made it her habit to always have an eye on any dangerous situations.

Her rage towards the hybrid hadn't faded and even tough she was forced to obey him, Grace always took her jobs seriously. A strange protective instinct towards Stefan and Klaus had developed inside her. They never spoke much, but still she had got to know them very will. Their habits, what they liked to eat, Klaus' paranoia, Stefan's ripper problem...It was dysfunctional, but in some kind of way they had become very well working partners in crime.

"To whom of you belongs this one here?"

Klaus pointed towards Ray and a young woman Grace's age rushed forward and screamed the wolves' name, kneeling beside him and shaking him, trying to get him awake.

"Don't worry, love, he'll wake soon. But as someone new, improved. He died with my blood in his system."

He smiled devilishly when the crowd around him whispered ‚the hybrid'. Klaus surely loved the attention to which Grace rolled her eyes.

"I will kill you!"

The girl mumbled and tried to lunge at Klaus but Grace was in front of her within the blink of a second, glaring coldly at the wolf. Of course she understood why she wanted to kill him, Grace herself would've loved to rip his head straight off, but as former mentioned, she took her job seriously.

"He will kill you, darling."

Suddenly, Grace was behind the wolf girl and held her with a harsh grip, showing her off to Klaus who smiled at the vampire. Stefan stood by and tried to hide his mixed emotions. Never would he admit it, but Grace being so unpredictable sometimes scared him. But then he noticed how alike they were, he had changed a lot into his old self, too.

Klaus' eyes gleamed golden again when he bit into his own wrist and pressed it onto the girl's mouth, before Grace took it for herself to break her neck. The second kill she did today. Surprisingly, it got easier with her emotion partially pushed away.

The wolves around them growled, but didn't dare to make a move, knowing that even tough they were counting a higher number, they didn't have a chance against this deadly trio.

„You're staring to become an awesome assistant, Gracie. Watch out Stefan, she's going to outmatch you. She finally got it in her stubborn head how this world works."

Grace shot him a glare and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Can't you just shut up?"

Before Klaus could comment on her remark, Ray woke up with a gasp. He panted and looked around confused, probably not even remembering that he told his enemy where his pack was. Poor boy.