Chapter 86

With a frown plastered on her forehead, Grace crouched in front of the grotesque corpses that was placed on a bed of lavender in the middle of the compound. She had been gone for less than fifteen minutes to get some cake for breakfast, because her loudly growling stomach yearning for something sweet had her restless. Was it crazy to crave cake and a good shot of A positive at the same time?

A letter was placed in the hands of the dead young woman, but before she could read it, she felt Elijah's and Nik's presence approaching her. They stopped in their tracks when they saw what Grace was looking at. 

Elijah's gaze immediately flickered to Grace, checking if she was ok. He released a tense breath when he noticed that she seemed fine, but of course both brothers were still highly confused.

"What happened?" 

Nik asked while he bent down to pick up the letter. His expression changed from confusion to anger when he read it.

"I have no idea. I just went out to get cake." 

The older brother lifted a brow when he heard that. Grace usually loathed cake of any kind. She was more of a pure chocolate person. Shrugging, she turned her attention back to Nik. 

"You know who did this?"

"I know exactly who caused this." 

He hissed and handed the letter to Elijah. An expression of understanding and surprise ran over his face. Grace crossed her arms in front of her chest, impatiently waiting for them to fill her in. 

"It's Aurora. Tristan's sister. An old flame of Niklaus." 

Elijah answered her unspoken question. Grace's brows rose and she shot Nik a look. 

"Seriously? Another ex haunting one of you?"

She sighed and asked herself how many people that could become unpleasant at meeting again one could gather in a thousand years. Probably quite a lot. 

"Speaking of haunting exes, how's your 'old friend' Tristan, Gracie?"

Nik shot back and winked at her when she glared at him. He knew that he was adding salt to some open wounds. How much she would've loved to punch his teeth out for that.

"Niklaus...when mother had me captive and I got a glimpse into the darkest part of my memory...I saw Aurora." 

Elijah ignored their banter and went on with a more serious matter. The younger vampire immediately grasped his hand when he spoke about the Red Door, knowing that it would comfort him. They were far away from really solving this issue, but their more recent problems had pushed it away. 

"Whatever it is you have to say, it has to wait. I need to find her now." 

But Elijah shook his head, disagreeing that they should find Aurora. It would only cause more problems and he didn't want his brother or Grace anywhere near this person.

"Maybe it would be better to just ignore her. I need you to know..." 

Nik on the other hand didn't seem to care much. He didn't listen to his brother, turned on his heel and walked back out of the compound. Both Grace and Elijah stared after him.

"What did you want to tell him?" 

He sighed in return to her question and covered his face with his hand. This seemed to be a really tough matter, but Grace didn't know enough about this time to really understand. So he just told her. He told her every detail of how Mikael became aware of their presence in the castle the family De Martel owned. How he found out that Nik killed his mother. How he compelled this Aurora person to leave Nik.