Chapter 73

They said draining was the worst pain a vampire could feel. 

Grace was sure it wasn't. She had lived through worse pain, but feeling all the blood pooling out of her body wasn't that splendid either. Since Dahlia captured her, Grace had been unconscious for most of the time. The witch must've put a sleeping spell on her. 

When Grace woke up, she found herself in a dark room only lit by candles. It looked like a basement, but it could've been anywhere. But her location was the least of her sorrows, Dahlia surely had cloaked them to make sure her family wouldn't find their loved one, the burning pain that fired through her whole body had her distracted. Her veins felt like sandpaper and the urge to smash her teeth into flesh was overwhelming, but of course there was nothing to feed on. 

The steady beat of Dahlia's ancient hard drove her crazy. Her blood wasn't as appealing as a human's but of course her instincts, knowing that she was close to desiccating, would take her as well. 

She felt a long cut through her wrists and throat. The wounds wouldn't close as usual. To bleed her out more quickly, Dahlia must've slowed her healing. It was frightening what the witch was able to do someone like her. It really should be witches everyone should be afraid of. They were easily able to hurt the other monsters lurking in the shadows. Unfortunately Grace was one of those less dangerous monsters, at least when it came to witches. 

"You're incredibly strong, young Grace. It's impressive how you're fighting." 

Dahlia sat only a few feet in front of her, sipping some tea like it was the most normal thing in the world to have a good tea in front of a shackled and tortured person. That was probably her interpretation of reality TV. 

"Why don't you come a bit closer? I can show you more of my fighting." 

Grace snarled and put on her most savage smile, still trying to play the tough one. The witch only chuckled. She put her tea aside and stood up, strutting towards the vampire. 

"It's so easy to weaken you abominations. Blood...it's the thing you crave the most to keep up your fragile immortality and still, it's your greatest weakness." 

She pushed a strand of Grace's brunette hair behind her ear and the younger woman growled at Dahlia. How much she wanted to bury her teeth into her pale, thin skin. Rage bursted through her dry veins and she tried to fight the shackles, but of course it was no use. 

"You are calling me an abomination? Have you tried looking into a mirror or have you missed that little useful invention in your slumber, sleeping beauty? By the way, I think a good anti-aging cream would've helped, too." 

Grace tried to provoke her in hope the witch would make a mistake. But unfortunately, Dahlia just laughed again. 

"You do have some candor, love. I see why my nephews protect you so fiercely. Which one of them was yours? I can't remember." 

The young vampire only rolled her eyes. It was the second time she was captured by a lunatic Mikaelson witch and she seriously wasn't in the mood to chat about her love life. 

"You can stop pretending that you actually care one bit." 

Dahlia studied Grace's face intensely, as if she was trying to look for clues. 

"You're right. I just wanted to be nice. But if you don't want that, we should cut right to the point." 

Suddenly, the woman grabbed Grace's chin and closed her eyes. One second later she felt that the witch was trying to get into her mind. It felt like when Elijah and her practiced that or when Nik compelled her, just way more violent and much more strong. Grace's hands clenched into fists and she fought her with all her might. Her life depended on it and she wouldn't loose this fight. She simply couldn't.