Chapter Four

Katniss POV- (The next morning)

"Peeta! I'm going to the store. Do you want to come?" I call from downstairs, secretly hoping he won't decide to go.

I have something to check out but he hasn't left the house since we went to talk to the police.

"No." He calls back.

I frown, I just wish that he would get better.

He's literally making my heart hurt.

I think the only thing worse than Peeta leaving me is this.

Seeing him cry for little to no spark of emotions, kills me and I know how hard it must've been for him last year when I did this.

"Okay, I'll be back later. I love you!" I say, my voice cracking at the end.

He doesn't respond, which kills me in another way.

I leave and call the place I've been looking into for a few weeks.

(On the phone with the OB-GYN office)

"Hi, this is Katniss Mellark. I need to make an appointment."

"We could get you in tomorrow at 2pm."

I sigh, knowing if I go tomorrow he's going to know something is up.

Maybe I'll act like Johanna called and wanted to go do something?

"Do you have anything open for today?" I ask, in hopes that they will.

"Not today but we will call you if anything opens. If not, we will see you at 2pm tomorrow." The receptionist says.

I hang up and let out a long, frustrated groan.

I immediately call Johanna, knowing I can trust her to keep a secret and play along.

(On the phone with Johanna)

"Hey, kid. How is Peeta?" She asks.

I sigh, "He's been better. Actually, I need a big favor."

"What's that?"

"I need to go somewhere tomorrow but Peeta can't find out."

"What are you doing?" Johanna asks.

Even though I've been more open about talking about Peeta and I's marital life, I still don't feel comfortable telling my friends everything.

Especially this, especially the way I'm having to go about it.

"I need to go somewhere but if anyone asks or if Peeta does, you say I was with you." I say sternly.

"Okay..." Johanna says.

"Please, just promise me you won't tell Peeta anything?" I say seriously.

"Alright, alright. I won't tell him anything." She says.

"Thank you."

"No problem."

And we hang up.

I go to the store and stock up on food, mostly ready-made food, being that I can't cook to save our lives.

It all sounds either really good or really bad and I don't know why.

"Thank you." I say to the lady who checks my groceries out.

The woman gives me a look of recognition, "You are Peeta Mellark's wife, right?"

"Yes." I say softly, hating to be recognized by anyone, just because I don't like the attention.