Chapter Twenty-One

Katniss POV- (Sunday, the day before doctor's appointment)

"Peeta, you better know how much I love you because I have barely slept in two days."

My head hurts terribly from lack of sleep and I'm tired and cranky.

"I know how much you love me." He says, kissing my cheek from behind and wrapping his arms around my waist.

I sigh, "I have a feeling this is gonna be a long 4 months." I say on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Peeta and I both know that if I don't have enough sleep, I'm the meanest person alive, but I'm trying to be patient for Peeta's sake at least.

I know if I start crying or yell at him his feelings will be hurt and knowing me, I will probably say something I will regret.

"Just try to relax." Peeta says, bringing his hands on my shoulders and giving them a reassuring squeeze.

I lean back against his chest, "I really appreciate this, Katniss. A lot more than you will ever know."

I take a deep breath, "I know." I say and it's true.

I do know how happy I am making him and how appreciative he is and that's why I am trying not to snap.

Plus, I know he still isn't over his family and he's been trying really hard to push it back for me.

"Maybe, the baby will get all it's energy out inside you and be super calm when it's here." He says.

I muster up a half smile even though I wanna cry.

"You probably just jinxed that." I shrug.

"Tomorrow we need to ask the doctor about what to do to get you some sleep. I know you are getting to be miserable." Peeta says.

I sigh, "I'm not miserable but it's frustrating not being able to sleep, especially now that you're back in our bed."

"Have you been having nightmares too?"

"A few the last few months, not as many as I usually do."

"That's good, though. Maybe after the baby is here you won't have anymore." He suggests but I know that's not true.

Peeta and I are going to have to live with the nightmares for the rest of our lives.

"I wish neither of us had them. How are we gonna explain that to the poor kid?"

"Explain what?"

"Why sometimes, I wake up screaming at night  or how you wake up, paralyzed with fear. How we will spend a few days out of the year crying." I groan.

Peeta sighs, "We will figure it out. Don't you worry about it."

"Just like you worry about me, I'm gonna worry about that and about you and about this baby and everyone else we know." I say, feeling overwhelmed.

"Calm down, Sweetheart. All you need to worry about is yourself and the baby." Peeta says, rubbing my arm.

"But I can't."

He sighs, "Sure, you can. That's all that is important right now. Let everyone else take care of themselves and let me take care of you." Peeta says.

"Peeta, stop." I say, tears welling up in my eyes.

I hate when he acts like no one else is important but me.

"I'm not doing anything." Peeta chuckles and I let out a whiney laugh.

"Just think, after this is over all we have all we need and there won't be anyone new to worry about for a very long time."

I frown, "That means that the sooner we have this baby, the sooner it grows up and we get old and die."