Chapter Seventy-Nine

Katniss POV- (Christmas Eve)

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me that the 'just friends' have gotten married and are expecting a baby." The same waitress says to us with that knowing look that she's always worn.

I laugh a little, red in the face and Peeta squeezes my hand from across the table.

He was able to convince Dr. Coles to let me come here tonight as long as I didn't overdo it and I'm really glad that he did.

"Yeah, I finally decided that he isn't all that bad." I tease them both.

But in fact, he's better than everyone thinks.

The waitress chuckles, "What can I get you to drink, Sweetie?" She turns to me.

"Water, please?" I ask.

She smiles and writes it down and looks to Peeta.

"I would like a water as well." He says.

"Peeta, you can get whatever you want to drink. I don't care." I tell him truthfully.

"No, it's okay." He insists and I know it's because I can't really have much sugar and I don't like not having sugar in my tea.

"Food?"

Peeta looks at me.

I puff my cheeks and look back at the menu, it all looks so good but I finally decide.

"Can I have a salad?" I ask nicely, handing her the menu.

I'm trying to get extra nutritious things in me, hopefully helping her and me both, being that the first three months I didn't know I was pregnant so I didn't do anything special, or didn't even eat. I started taking the prenatal vitamins when I was about 2 months, when I decided I wanted to get pregnant and I've taken them ever since.

The lady grins, "Of course. What about you, sir?"

Peeta sighs and looks up, "Stew, please?"

"We will get that out soon." The lady says and walks away.

"We've come a long way, haven't we?" I say, looking him in his blue eyes.

He gives me that crooked smile, "I didn't really think four years ago that we would be sitting here together, married with you carrying my child. So yeah, I think we've come a long way."

I smile sweetly at him, "If anyone would've told me that this is we're we would be, I would've told them they were crazy."

"Am I really that bad?" He laughs.

"No. I mean it's all so surreal. Sure, we've had our bad days but in all reality, I never could've asked for anything better than what we have. I never thought I would have a boyfriend, let alone a husband or a best friend or a baby."

"You gotta remember you didn't want that at one time though." Peeta tells me.

"I know but I'm not lying when I said the night before we met, I never wanted any of that, then something changed in me. It was crazy."

Peeta looks at me, "You know that's what fate is." He says, giving me a sweet look.

I chuckle, "I know, Sweetie."

"Next year we can bring Willow here." Peeta says.

I smile, "I think she'd like that."

He laughs, "Yeah, I bet so."

I take a really deep breath, "It's weird to think that this time next year we will be parents and will have been for about nine months."

Peeta gives me a cute smile, "I can't wait."