Chapter Sixty-Seven

Katniss POV-

I freeze.

"Did she just say what I think she just said?" I ask Peeta, feeling anger rise inside me.

Then I discover exactly what was bothering me.

"Katniss, she's a baby. She doesn't know what she's saying." Peeta says, shaking his head like its nothing.

I stare at him and I can tell he's scared of what else I'm going to say.

"So? She heard it from somewhere." I snap.

"Well, it wasn't from me." Peeta says.

"You're not her father, Peeta." I say, feeling tears streaming down my cheeks.

Peeta sits up completely now and Carter gives Peeta and I scared and worried looks.

Hell, she just said her first actual word and we aren't gushing over her.

We're angry.

Well, I am.

"No, but it's not my fault she said it and you always are worried about me staying in her life as her 'father figure.' She doesn't know what she's saying or what the meaning is, okay?"

"Your daughter isn't even here yet and you're already doing this. Maybe that was what was wrong with me earlier." I tell him.

"What the hell are you talking about? Doing what?" Peeta says angrily.

"That you think it's okay for her to call you 'dad.'" I tell him angrily, standing up.

"I don't think it's okay but she's a baby and she just said her first word. Lots of kids first word is 'dad.' You really want me to scold her for that? She won't want to talk ever again." Peeta says, narrowing his eyes at me angrily.

I roll my eyes as tears stream down my cheeks, "She's not your daughter. Willow is."

"Obviously but Willow isn't even here yet."

"Willow is your baby. Carter isn't!" I say angrily, making them and myself jump.

"You're always so adamant for me to be in her life too. It's not as if I'm incapable of balancing them but there's not much I can do for Willow right now."

"There's plenty."

"What am I suppose to do? She's a baby. You act like she knows what she's saying." Peeta says.

"That's not the point." I tell him, crossing my arms across my chest, resting them on my belly.

"Then what is the point? Because I'm not getting it." He shoots.

"You're a jerk, Peeta." I say and walk out of our bedroom.

"How am I a 'jerk,' Katniss? I didn't teach her to say it!" He yells back.

I walk into Willow's nursery across the hall and shut the door.

I go over and sit in the chair we have set up in there and I cry my eyes out.

Peeta POV-

Carter's eyes crystal over and her bottom lip trembles as she hears the door slam shut.

"Hey, it's okay. You said your first word." I say, picking her up and she bursts into tears.

I sigh and get out of bed, taking Carter with me.

I know Katniss went into the nursery but I don't go in there.

She is totally overreacting and I'm pretty pissed off with her right now for it.