Chapter Nine

Katniss POV- (Noon the next morning)

I wake up to the sun shining brightly through the closed windows and Peeta not by my side.

I've been asleep since 5 o'clock yesterday, nineteen hours of sleep and I still feel like sleeping away my life.

I'm still exhausted.

Nothing is going to get better, so why not sleep?

But my stomach growls so I decide I better get up and eat something and check on Peeta because even if I'm upset, I still care about him.

I slowly sit up, looking about the room.

Looking out the window and at my side of the bed.

I close my heavy eyes and let out a yawn, then I get up and carefully unlock our bedroom door.

I quietly open it and look across the hall.

Peeta is in his art studio.

I hold my breath and start out the door.

I don't look in at him when I walk by or even say anything, hoping he didn't notice me.

Either he noticed and didn't say anything or he didn't notice at all.

So when I get downstairs, I go into the kitchen and make some cereal, even though it's lunch time but it's not like there's other stuff to eat and I'm not good at cooking.

I'm really getting tired of eating soup and cereal or microwave meals everyday and I really need to learn how to cook a half way decent meal but I don't have time.

The doctor would be furious to know I haven't been eating and I haven't drank anything either. Plus, I have only taken one prenatal vitamin since this all started about three days ago, but why should I continue prepping?

Like Peeta said, he doesn't want a baby anymore. He barely wants me, let alone any baby of mine.

But then again, I decide that I already paid for them and they expire in three months.

It's not going to hurt anything and I can always buy more.

I read that even if you are not pregnant, it helps for the future, but again I'm not sure where that's headed.

I swallow the vitamin and down a lot of water, feeling dehydrated.

Maybe that's why I blacked out a bit yesterday?

Then, I sit at the island with my cereal.

I look pitiful.

I shake my head and let out a sigh and eat the damn cereal, even though it tastes terrible, probably because it's the same cereal I've eaten since I was a kid and it's finally getting old.

Another joy of growing up.

Peeta comes down and by the look on his face he is kind of shocked to see me, I guess.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were in here." He mumbles and gets in the fridge.

I take a bite of food and swallow, "It's alright." I say, not moving a muscle, biting my bottom lip.

I feel so self-conscious being here in his t-shirt and my underwear, not even wearing a bra but it's probably because we've barely touched in forever.

He takes an apple off the counter in front of me and sits down next to me at the island.

I don't move and I don't look at him.

"Did you have a good nights sleep?" He asks softly, taking a bite of the red apple.

"Yeah." I say softly, still not moving and hoping that he goes away, even though I want so badly for him to stay.

I see him nodding from the corner of my eye, "That's good."

"Yeah." I say again, staring at the food in my bowl.

Peeta let's out a sigh and we don't talk again the rest of the day.

We don't make any eye contact and I didn't even run to comfort him while he did his daily crying and he didn't come in to hold me in the middle of the day or night while I had nightmares.

But I will say, when I don't have any nightmares, the sleep is good if I can manage to get comfortable.