Chapter Forty

Peeta POV- (Monday about 10am)

"Hey, Peeta. Where's Katniss?" Bristol says as she walks inside, she only had to substitute for about an hour today so she's already here.

"She's upstairs asleep." I smile.

She chuckles, "The baby is wearing her out, huh?"

I sigh, "Yeah, a little bit. It seems like at the further she gets into her pregnancy, the tireder she gets, she's been asleep since 8:30 last night.

"Yeah, I was that way too. It'll probably get worse, especially if she is having trouble sleeping at night."

"She's figured out how to sleep comfortably, Willow just moves a lot and it's uncomfortable for her."

"Carter moved a lot but not like Willow does. I can tell sometimes it hurts Katniss." Bristol says.

"Yeah, I've noticed her breaths are taken away sometimes." I frown.

"The baby is just excited is all. Carter gave me a few breath taking kicks. Kat will be okay, she's doing it and not complaining as much for you."

I nod, she's right.

"Yeah, I'm really lucky." I say with a proud feeling in my heart.

"You are very lucky. She's the most amazing person I've ever met." Bristol says smiling.

I smile, "Yeah, for me too." I tell her truthfully.

It makes me so happy when other people rave about Katniss to me. It makes me realize that I'm not the only one who sees her beauty and worth and for other people to see that, makes me so damn happy.

Bristol smiles and picks Carter up off the floor. I've been chasing her down all morning, she's starting to get on her hands and knees, no doubt she will be crawling by Christmas.

"Hey, baby girl." She says and Carter bounces up and down excitedly.

I chuckle, "She missed you, I think."

She kisses her cheek, "Did you miss Mommy?" She laughs a little.

Carter smiles sweetly at her.

"She ate about an hour ago." I say to Bristol as I hand her Carter's bag and help her with Carter.

Katniss is up stairs so I help her take Carter to the car and to talk to her about our trip tomorrow.

"After Katniss gets up we are heading to District Four to watch Finn while they go do some things in District 12 for a few days. It was suppose to be a day trip but some things have changed so we won't be able to watch Carter again until Thursday and on Friday Katniss and I are going to have to do a few things but Carter can come if you need her to."

"Okay, that's fine. I can just tell the school I can't work anymore this week. I'll make something up. I've been wanting a break anyways to hang out with Carter a little." Bristol says.

I smile, "You work a lot. If that teacher doesn't quit skipping then her kids aren't going to learn anything." I laugh.

Her eyes widen, "Tell me about it and I would teach them but she hasn't left anything for me to teach."

I sigh, "That's crazy."

"Yeah, well you both have a safe trip and enjoy Finn." Bristol says, hugging me.

"Thanks, enjoy Carter and sorry about having to leave this week."

"I understand. I know how much Kat is missing Finnick and Annie and Finn."

"Yeah, we both do. They lived here her entire life and it's hard sometimes for her."

"I understand. That's why we moved back, even though it's only been a year." Bristol says.

"Well, we will see you both in a few days." I say patting her shoulder and kissing Carter on the head.

"I'll see you in a few days. Okay?" I tell her softly, her hand gripping my index finger.

She smiles widely at me and I pull my hand back and go inside as she puts her in the car.

When I get back, Katniss is in the kitchen scrounging around for food.

"Good morning, Sunshine." I tease her.

She looks back at me and smiles pitifully at me, more embarrassed.

"Did you have a good nap?" I ask her, walking to her and putting my arms around her from behind, right on her belly.

It's gotten so big the last two months and it's making me so happy.

"Yes but I was hungry." She smiles, red in the face.

I kiss her neck, "Would you like to leave after a little bit?"

"Yeah, why are we even going?" She asks, breaking away from me and sitting down at the island.

I stand across the island from her just watching her eat.

"Because Finnick and Annie want to see you." I tell her.

She's going to ruin it for herself.

"Why? Because I'm pregnant?" She asks.

I shrug, "I don't know, because you're awesome."

She scoffs, "You're funny."

I smile admiringly at her, "No, I'm honest."

Katniss sighs, "Your child says I have to sleep all the way there." She giggles.

I laugh a little and sit down next to her at the island.

"How about we head out now? We won't make it there until tomorrow anyways."

"Why don't we just fly if we have to be there so quickly." She asks with a mouthful of food.

"Because...I don't want to fly." I say.

"Why? It didn't bother you before." She shrugs.

"Before you were pregnant." I tell her.

"Peeta, I was like a month or less pregnant when we flew for Finn, I'll be fine."

"No, Katniss, stop. I know traveling is dangerous but there's been a lot of plane crashes lately and I don't want to risk anything. At least on the road, I am in control of our vehicle." I say.

"Okay." She says rolling her eyes.