Chapter Eighty-Three

Katniss POV-

I heard everything Peeta said and everything she said too, all of it.

So when he comes back to bed, I tell him I'm still awake because I want him to know I'm proud of him for what he said.

"I know you are." He says, facing me as he crawls back into our bed, at about half past midnight.

"I heard everything that was said too."

He sighs, "Is there anything I have to apologize for?"

I turn to face him too.

"Nothing." I say.

I can only think of one thing to say about it all anyways, so I tell him.

"Thank you for loving me so much, Peeta." I mumble quietly to him.

He smiles sadly, "Someone has to." He teases.

I let out a laugh and shrug my shoulders.

"And thank you for loving Willow as much as you do."

Peeta reaches across, sticking his hand on the side of my belly and patting it gently, rubbing it back and forth, making her move.

"My girls. I love you both more than either of you will ever know." He tells me, but I do know the depth of his love for us and he knows mine for both of them.

"Why do you really think she came?" I ask him curiously, wondering if he either knows something I don't or has a theory on it.

Either could be a real possibility.

He takes a really deep breath, "I don't know, baby. Maybe she will come around by morning. Maybe she will change her mind and want to see us. Maybe seeing you pregnant with her grandchild will change something in her." He says, moving his hand to my arm and giving it a squeeze.

"But I want you to tell me why I should talk to her? I don't want to and if she doesn't want to have anything to do with me or Willow or you, then why should we?" I ask him quietly.

He sighs.

I can tell he's trying to muster up a reason because honestly there isn't any good reasons.

Why see me one last time so you can break my heart some more?

"I think you should because it could be the last time you see her. Despite everything she has done, I don't want you to ever regret it if you don't." Peeta mumbles to me.

I nod my head, "Then I'll see her but I won't be happy-go-lucky about it. She's screwing us all over." I say back to him.

Willow won't have any grandparents, besides Peeta's and that would make them her great-grandparents and great-great-grandma but still, my mother is alive and perfectly capable of being in her life but refuses.

It's ridiculous and some of the worst hurt she's put on me.

I don't even care if she doesn't want a relationship with me, I know I've never been the favorite daughter.

She expected Prim to be the one with a family, not me.

I was suppose to be grumpy Aunt Katniss to Prim's children and my mother was going to love them.

Now that it's been robbed from us, it's like she can't stand me or the fact that I changed my mind.

And maybe she's mad at me for having everything Prim will never get but I didn't take that from her.

Prim wanted all of this for herself and me but I know that now since she can't have it, it's up to me.

I know deep down in my heart, Willow is a gift from Prim and my father.