Chapter Fifty-Eight

Katniss POV- (That night, about 3am)

I've been tossing and turning all night, since about midnight and I'm absolutely starving for katniss root.

Ironic, I know.

I turn over and face Peeta who seems to be wise
awake.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Peeta, I'm starving for katniss root." I mumble, not even asking why he's awake at this time of night.

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart." He says.

I groan, "I really really want it but the ground has been frozen and they don't sell them at the store." I whine.

He turns onto his side, face to face with me and sighs deeply.

"We can try to find something else that may help your craving." He says tiredly, a little annoyed even.

I feel tears spring in my eyes, "But I want those."

"Katniss, we don't have any and I can't go get you any. I'm sorry." Peeta says.

I sit up, "Ugh." I cry into my hands.

I can't help it, I want them so badly and I can't even sleep because of it.

"Do you want me to go warm you up some of the leftover mashed potatoes?" He suggests.

I shake my head and sob into my hands, "No." I cry.

He sighs deeply and sits up, "It's okay."

"No, it's not. Of course I'm craving things we can't get." I cry, throwing my head into his neck.

I've had a few cravings but not many and when I do, they hit me like a truck and I get extremely emotional until I can have it.

"I would love to get you some but unless you think they sell them at the store, there isn't much I can do." Peeta says.

I shake my head and look at him in the dark, fall night.

"They don't, I'm sure." I grumble.

Peeta gives me just the hint of a smile, "How about I go check first thing in the morning?"

I nod my head, "But I really want them now." I cry.

He rubs my back with his hand, "The store is closed but we could go get something else if you want it?"

I sigh, "I just want katniss." I say seriously but Peeta just laughs at me.

It's always been a joke since I showed him the roots almost a year ago and I will admit it's usually funny but not right now.

"Stop."

He laughs, "At least you're not named after bread."

That makes me laugh a little but tears still stream down my cheeks.

"I'm a root."

"There's flowers and those little arrow looking things too. I think they are beautiful plants, actually and they taste good." Peeta says.

More tears stream down my cheeks as he describes the plant to me and tells me how good they are.

"Make me some pita bread then."

He laughs, "I don't have the all stuff. I ran out of flour and salt this morning but I can surely get it in the morning."

I let out a whine as my stomach growls.

"What do you have then?"

"Cheese buns. We have a lot of left over food downstairs."

I scrunch my nose up at the thought.