Chapter Forty-Nine

Katniss POV- (A few days later)

"Peeta? What are you doing here?" I ask as he walks into the office.

He gives Mrs. Odair a look and she nods, letting him come behind the counter.

I stand up, "What's wrong?" I ask him.

His face looks sad and he gives me a guilty look frown.

"I couldn't just leave without telling you goodbye." He mumbles.

My heart drops into the pit of my stomach.

"What?" I ask him in a choked up voice.

"Katniss, I have to take that job." He says and it literally breaks my heart.

"Peeta, I can't be without you that long and you know it."

He looks at me, "You can, Katniss. I'll be back on the weekends and after two weeks."

"No." I say.

I can't let him go and I am going to throw the biggest fit I've ever thrown.

"Katniss, come on? We need the money worse than I thought and I already told them I would go."

"I thought you told me you weren't going to take the job?"

"Katniss, if you want you can go outside." Mrs. Odair says.

I forgot she was here and that I'm suppose to be working.

I push past Peeta and walk out as he follows behind me.

When we get into the cold, winter air, I feel tears burning in my eyes.

"Are you crazy?" I ask him angrily.

"No, but we need the money. I talked to a contractor about the bakery and they are going to charge way more than we could ever afford."

I clench my fists, "Peeta, I don't care. Get a different job. I'm not going to have you gone for two weeks at a time. I don't care if I can see you on the weekends because I promise if you go, you're not going to have a good next three or four months." I guarantee him.

"Don't you want us to have a bakery?" He asks.

"Yes, but that doesn't matter right now. What matters is Willow. You are suppose to be here for us and you promised me that you wouldn't take that job and you went behind my back and did!" I say, raising my voice.

"Would you rather me work while you're pregnant or be gone when she's here because it's one or the other?" Peeta says.

"Neither. At least not when you'll be gone for two fucking weeks, Peeta."

He sighs and turns away from me, "What am I suppose to do? You'll making more money in a month than I would be at that tutoring job the entire time."

"Why does it matter?"

"I'm your husband. I'm suppose to provide for my family and you've never had a job before and you do and you're making a hell of a lot more money than I could these next few months." He says.

"So you're jealous of me?" I ask him, ultimately coming down to that conclusion.

"Maybe you're finally showing me up." He smarts off.

I roll my eyes, "And your ego can't handle it, can it?"

He looks up, "I guess not."

"Either way, you need to get over it. You're not taking that job and if you do, I'm never talking to you again." I emptily threaten.