Chapter Forty-Eight

Katniss POV- (Monday morning, 8:30am)

"Katniss, wake up. You're going to be late. You have work in a half-hour." Peeta calls from downstairs.

I sigh and get up out of our warm bed.

I think the thing I'm going to hate most about this working thing is I won't get to sleep unless it's at night and I have to wake up about two hours earlier than I usually do.

I hop into the shower and quickly dress then rush downstairs to find Peeta making my breakfast.

It's 8:50 by the time I get downstairs.

"You gotta hurry." He says, putting a plate in front of me.

I shrug and sit down and quickly scarf down the food in a matter of five minutes.

I grab my stuff and walk towards the door

"I'll see you at five." I say, pecking his lips and heading out the front door quickly.

Right at 9 o'clock, I make it inside the office building.

"Hey, Kat. Right on time." Mrs. Odair says, standing up.

She embraces me in a hug and looks me over.

"How far along are you, Sweetie?"

"Five months." I say.

Mrs. Odair smiles, "You look beautiful. You're tiny still but big being that you've always been so small. You know what I mean?"

I laugh a little and nod my head, knowing what she means.

Peeta tries to explain it all the time, without hurting my feelings.

It's kind of like I'm not big or small but I am.

"You look good though. You're our only help so it'll just be you and I all day here, hope that's okay."

"It's just perfect." I say truthfully.

She's always been like my second mother, honestly.

Sometimes, even my first.

I know I've barely seen her since I started dating Peeta but it was actually when Finnick and Annie started dating. That's when it kind of became inappropriate for us to stay at each other's houses, even though Annie doesn't mind it but I would probably be a little jealous if Peeta stayed the night with one of his old friends house that happened to be a girl.

"Good, I'm so excited to get to see you all the time again."

I smile, "Me too."

"Well, here's your desk. You can answer calls for me and that's pretty much all you'll do for now. If someone comes in and needs information, I'll have you find it in the back and maybe a few other things here and there. Mostly, I just need a friend." She says.

"I'll be here." I assure her.

Finnick's dad works somewhere else and being that this is his family's business, they got it to where his mom can do everything.

It's a pretty wealthy company.

A lot of people here in Twelve use the Odairs for insurance, my mom did for years.

Speaking of my mother, she asks.

"How is your mom? I haven't heard from her since before she left." Mrs. Odair asks with a frown.

I sigh deeply and sit down on the rolling chair.

"I don't really know." I say.

She gives me a puzzled look, "Okay..."