Chapter Sixty-Six

Katniss POV- (Later that day)

(On the phone with Bristol)

"Hey, Kat. I know it's your day off but could you do me a huge favor?"

"Sure, what's up?" I ask.

"Could you watch Carter while I clean my apartment and go grocery shopping? She's getting into everything and I want to make sure there's nothing she can get into." Bristol asks.

I chuckle, "Sure, bring her on over." I say, looking at Peeta who's sleeping soundly.

I carefully unravel myself from his arms and go downstairs. I go in the kitchen and get a little snack and sit on the couch, waiting for Carter to arrive.

I haven't seen her as much since I've been working, it's just been her and Peeta which I know he's loving.

I hear a knock on the door and get up to answer it.

I go answer the door to see an exhausted looking Bristol and a smiling Carter at the door.

"You look beat." I say with a chuckle.

"I am. She's into EVERYTHING!" She says, putting extra emphasis on the words 'everything.'

I smile, "I guess I have some things to look forward too then." I say.

She chuckles, "How'd your doctor's appointment go?"

I smile, remembering how well it went.

"Great, we have new pictures if you want to see them." I say.

Bristol smiles sweetly, "Go get them!" She squeals.

I laugh, "Come on." I say and she comes inside, shutting the door behind her.

I grab the pictures off the counter and hand them to her as she sets Carter on the floor next to her.

"Oh, Kat. She's so beautiful already. These are so cool! You can actually see her." Bristol says excitedly.

"Yeah, it's something called a 3D sonogram. It's way way more expensive but it's super cool." I inform her.

"I heard of them with Carter but the insurance wouldn't pay for anything but a 2D."

I shrug, not really knowing what to say as I see Carter high-tailing it for Buttercup who's laying on the floor.

His hair sticks up when she makes it to him.

I rush over right before he scratches at her.

"Buttercup. Get out of here." I groan, picking Carter up off the floor.

"Goodness, kid. You're getting heavy." I tell her.

She smiles a little and chews on her fingers.

"Well, these are super sweet and I'm so excited!" Bristol says, hugging me and kissing Carter on her head.

"I'm going to clean my house and grocery shopping. I'll be back around 7ish? Is that okay?" She asks.

"Of course. Take all the time you need." I say truthfully.

"Thank you so much, Katniss. You two are literally my lifesavers. Her diaper bag is in the living room." She says.

"Okay, see you later." I say and she goes.

Carter looks at me as her mom leaves the room and she blinks her long eyelashes.

"What do you wanna go do?" I ask her.

She stares at me and then let's out a random happy high-pitched screech.

"Oh yeah?" I laugh and walk into the living room.

I sit down on the couch and put her in my lap.

I give her one of the crackers I was eating and she gobbles it up in a few minutes.

I chuckle at her, "You're so cute, Carter." I tell her.

"How about we go wake up Uncle Peeta? He's been asleep a long time and he's not going to sleep tonight if he doesn't get up soon." I suggest to her.

Her eyes light up when I mention his name.

I smile to myself and pick her up, "Let's go." I say and she bounces up and down excitedly in my arms.

We walk up the stairs and go into my bedroom.

Peeta is softly snoring on his side of the bed.

He looks really peaceful but I don't want him up all night, especially since that's when his depression hits him the hardest.

More times than not, he either can't sleep or wakes from nightmares about them.

I hear him crying sometimes, but I try to ignore it because I know talking about it makes it worse. Plus, he just wants to be alone and when he doesn't, he's been good about waking me up for comfort.

I sit down on the bed next to Peeta's reposed body as Carter excitedly bounces up and down when she sees him.

"Peeta, someone is here to see you." I say softly, rubbing his arm a little.

It takes him a few seconds to stir and he finally wakes up.

"Hey, girls." He mumbles sleepily.

"Did you have a good nap?" I ask him.

He smiles sleepily at me, "Yeah, I had dreams of us."

"What were they about?" I ask.

Peeta closes his eyes, I guess trying to remember what he saw.

"It was me and you and Willow. She was still a little baby though. We just looked really happy." He tells me.

I smile and take his warm hand, "Good." I say softly.

He gives me a sweet smile then looks at Carter who's maneuvered herself right next to him.

"Hey, Carter." Peeta says, his own eyes widening when he sees her.

She smiles and gently slaps at his face.

He takes her chubby hand and play bites her while she squeals and laughs.

I smile at the sight.

He's literally like her father and as much as I love that, I hate it.

I'm jealous for Willow and she's not even here yet.

I don't know how I'm going to take it when she is here and that scares me a lot.

"What are you doing here?" Peeta asks her, ultimately asking me for an answer.

"This little girl is into everything and Bristol needs to clean her house and go shopping." I tell him.

Peeta smiles and sits up a little, leaning back against the headboard.

"Are you getting really good at crawling and making messes already, Carter?" Peeta asks her and she smiles a little shyly at him.

"She will be back around 7 and it's 5." I tell him.

He nods his head, "Are you about ready to eat? We can have Bristol eat with us if you want." He suggests.

"Sure." I say.

"What's wrong?"

I shake my head, "Nothing." I lie.

Well, it's partly a lie.

I'm not sure what's wrong and nothing is really wrong but there is something.

"Talk to me later about it." Peeta says knowingly.

I nod my head.

"Well, Carter do you wanna go help Uncle Peeta with dinner?" Peeta asks her.

She gurgles something at him and keeps  gurgling until I hear one word that sets me off.

"Dada."