Chapter Eighty-Two

Katniss POV- (11pm that night)

"Peeta, someone is knocking." I say, slightly annoyed with whoever is at the door right now, disrupting my rare, earlier nights rest.

He jumps, I think he was asleep.

"What?" He asks.

"Someone is knocking at the front door." I say.

He gets out of bed, still in his underwear and peaks out our bedroom window.

"I can't see who it is." He says. 

I hear a few more soft knocks and he hurries down the stairs.

Who could it be this late at night on Christmas?

I just hope whoever it is isn't delivering bad news or something.

I sit up, covering myself with our comforter, trying to listen to what's happening downstairs.

Peeta POV-

I rush downstairs and open the front door.

My face grows red and I feel shocked to see her.

"Mrs. Everdeen?" I say, embarrassed.

For one, I'm in my underwear and it's eleven at night.

I awkwardly hide behind the door, just peaking my head out.

If I know anything about Katniss, I know she's not going to be happy about this unexpected visitor.

"Peeta." She nods, not making any eye contact with me.

I awkward look about, trying to figure out what to do next.

"Um, come in. It's cold outside. I will be right back." I say, quickly going back upstairs.

Before I can even make it to the top, Katniss is already asking me who it is.

"It's your mother." I mumble, shutting our bedroom door behind me.

Katniss's face drops, angry.

"Why? What does she want?" She snaps.

I know this day isn't going to end as great as it began.

I pull on a shirt and some sweat pants, handing her some clothes too.

"I don't know. I was kind of in my underwear when I answered the door so I didn't ask questions." I tell her.

"You don't expect me to go out and talk to her, do you?"

I hold my breath, "If you're really against talking to her, I could tell her you're asleep but it only saves you until the morning."

She groans, "Shit, Peeta. Right when everything is perfect, she pulls this."

I shrug, "Katniss, you have to talk to her eventually, why not tonight? Get it over with."

She stares at the darkness, "No. Please don't make me talk to her tonight. Maybe by tomorrow, I'll feel differently but I can't right now." She begs me.

I know she wants nothing to do with her mother and honestly, I don't blame her.

If she really didn't want to have anything to do with us, then why is she here?

Why hasn't she called her daughter in 8 months?

Why doesn't she care anymore and why doesn't she want to be in our daughter's life, let alone her own daughter's life?

So many questions run through my mind and I can't help but to become a bit angry, just like Katniss.

I don't blame her one bit for being upset or not wanting to talk to her, but I can't very well not go out there now.