Chapter Eleven

Katniss POV- (Around 10pm, a couple of nights later)

"Ready for bed, Peeta?" I ask, walking into to pitch black the living room.

He opens up his red, puffy eyes and nods.

I hold out my hand for him and he takes it, helping himself up.

When he gets up, I pull him into one of the awkwardest hugs I've ever experienced, especially with Peeta Mellark.

I plant a kiss on his chest, right over his heart and he actually kisses the top of my head and rubs my back softly.

It makes my heart race, it's a little progress.

I look up at him when he does this and I give him the slightest hint of a smile.

"You kissed me." I say softly.

He let's out a fake laugh, "Yeah, I think you deserve that much." He mutters, I'm not sure it is was to sound rude or not. But I dismiss the comment with a nod and we go upstairs.

He actually let's me lay in his arms that night and that makes my whole world seem like it was never destroyed but it was and just because we are here, doesn't mean that's where we will be tomorrow.

(The next morning, 10am)

We don't greet each other when we wake, instead we just make eye contact though we stay silent, it says a lot.

He knows it's not like it use to be and that it probably won't be for a long, long time.

"Yesterday was my dad's birthday." Peeta tells me.

I nod my head, not knowing what else to say and I get up.

I go into the bathroom, needing to pee like crazy.

Peeta comes in a minute later while I brush my teeth and he brushes his teeth too.

I go downstairs and eat some of the test run cake I actually managed to successfully make last night and Peeta eats some too.

It's not breakfast food and it surely isn't healthy but it doesn't matter.

He gives me the weirdest look when he sees that I take a vitamin but he doesn't say anything.

I don't either.

It's not hurting anything, so why not?

But it may show him that I'm serious about this all.

"Do you want to go out somewhere today?" I ask him, knowing he won't want to.

He hasn't been out of the house in a month and a half.

Peeta freezes.

"You don't have to. I just thought we could go to the mall or the park, maybe get some fresh air? It's not too cold since it's September." I say softly.

"Okay." He says softly.

I nod, surprised.

About ten minutes later, I even talk him into going to the mall with me, to find him a birthday present.

"Katniss, I don't need or want anything." Peeta tells me as we arrive.

I park, "Too late. We are here and either way, you are getting something, so you better pick out something you like." I tell him bluntly.

He let's out a sigh and we go inside.

He doesn't hold my hand like he usually does and he barely walks next to me, he keeps his head down too.

"Chin up, Peeta."

Peeta brings his head up a little and looks at me.

"Smile." I say and he just shakes his head at me.

I roll my eyes and we go.

I end up not having any idea what to buy Peeta for his birthday and he finds me several things, but I refused them.

It was ridiculous.

Does he not remember my birthday when he forced me to buy things?

We sit at the park for about five minutes before we decide that it is enough, Peeta needs to take it slow.

When we get home, I go upstairs and take a nap while Peeta works on a sketch.

I'm glad he's finally back to that, somewhat.

When I wake up, I have a missed call from the doctor.

So I call them back.

(On the phone with the obstetrician's office)

"Mrs. Mellark?"

I pause.

"Yes?" I ask, almost forgetting I am in fact a Mellark.

"Doctor Coles requested that you come in soon and get blood work done and talk about how everything is going."

"Please, tell her we haven't gotten anywhere since I came in last."

"You are due for your very first exam anyways. Pregnant or not, we like to make sure everything is normal. Your appointment is Tuesday."

I sigh, "Uh. Okay." I say and I hang up.

I keep contemplating whether or not I tell Peeta about the steps I've taken without him, but I decide against it.

He would be angry with me, I'm sure.

"Who was that?" Peeta asks as he comes into our bedroom.

"Oh, it was Bristol checking on you." I lie.

He nods a little and sits on the edge of the bed.

"You're so beautiful, Katniss."

I scoff, "What? Why?"

He looks away, "You just are. I haven't told you in a while and I didn't want you to forget."

I shake my head, "I'm not beautiful, especially not today. I've gained like 10 pounds since all this happened but thanks for trying."

"You don't look any different, Katniss. Quit being so hard on yourself. When I can get a better hold on life, I'm going to start cooking again. Not that the food I make is any healthier but it's better than pre-made stuff, I guess."

"I'm sorry that I can't cook."

"It's fine. I appreciate that you are trying." Peeta mumbles.

The last few days have been better but he still doesn't talk much to me about anything but that's because most of his day is spent crying, sleeping or sketching his family and the bakery.

He doesn't even sketch me anymore.

Or Carter or Finn.

His mind is preoccupied with other souls.