Chapter Seventy-Seven

Peeta POV-

"Hey, kid. What can I get for you?" The lady behind the coffee shop counter asks.

I smile, "May I get two hot chocolates, please?"

"Sure thing." She says and I hand her the money and wait.

"Here you go." She says a few minutes later, handing me two cups.

"Thank you." I say and turn around, running smack dab into someone, nearly spilling the piping hot drinks all over us both.

"I am so sorry! Uh, hey. I'm sorry about that." I say to the girl who is Bristol Brown.

"Oh, uh, hey. It's fine." She says, looking at the ground.

"Listen, we are so sorry about the other day." I start.

"No, it's fine." She says.

I look at her and realize she's missing someone.

"Uh, where is Carter?" I ask curiously.

Bristol looks over and back up at me nervously, "She is over there." She says pointing to a man about her age and Carter who sits in front of him on the table.

"Oh, who is that?" I ask curiously.

"Uh, he's my friend. Actually, he's kind of my boyfriend. Please don't tell Katniss." She begs me.

"Um, okay." I say awkwardly.

"Do you mind if I go tell Carter 'hi,' I've really missed her this last week?" I say truthfully.

I am use to seeing her almost everyday and I would feel bad if I saw her and didn't talk to her.

"I'll come with you." Bristol says, guiding me over to the table, where her friend gives us a suspicious look.

"This is Peeta Mellark. He is my best friend's husband." Bristol introduces me to her boyfriend but she doesn't tell me his name and neither does he.

He nods a little awkwardly.

"Hey, Carter." I say, putting my hand on Carter's little brown head. She looks up at me and her brown eyes light up, she bounces up and down excitedly and reaches out for me.

"Sorry, baby. I gotta go. Aunt Katniss is in the car waiting on me." I break it to her, trying to get myself out of here quickly.

She starts babbling to me and her mom and I just hope she doesn't say it in front of her mom's new boyfriend.

"I'll see you soon." I tell Carter and I wave to Bristol and her boyfriend and begin to walk away.

"Peeta, wait." Bristol says, pulling me back over.

I look at her, trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

"How is Katniss doing?"

I sigh, "She's on strict bedrest."

"I got your text. I'm glad she and Willow are okay." She says awkwardly.

"Me too." I say and begin to walk away.

"Tell her that I want to see her soon." She adds in.

I nod my head and I leave about the time I hear Carter start throwing a fit.

I go to the car, putting on a poker face and hoping Katniss didn't see anything.

"What took so long?" Katniss asks as I get into the car.

I hand her a cup.

"Long line." I lie.

I can't tell her about seeing Bristol or about the fact that she already has a boyfriend.