Chapter Seven

Katniss POV-

(On the phone with Bristol)

"Hello?" I mumble, not really wanting to talk to anyone at the moment.

I have barley spoken to her since this all happened.

"Hey, sweetie. How are y'all doing?" She asks, knowingly.

I sigh and try to talk low, so Peeta doesn't overhear.

"We've both been better." I mutter.

She sighs, "I'm so sorry, Kat. Just give it some more time."

"It's been over a month. I understand this takes time but nothing is helping and it seems to be going more and more down hill." I say.

"Well, it's going to get better, Kat. I know Peeta won't let it get too out of hand. Just keep loving him because that's what he would do for you."

"That's what he did do for me and I'm really trying but I'm running out of hope."

"Hope is the only thing stronger than fear. Hang on." Bristol tells me.

"I am trying but it's hard not being the one who is good at comfort. I'm not cut out for this."

"You are cut out for it, Kat or it wouldn't be happening. You are better than you think and Peeta knows you're trying but remember how hard it is. If we were like 6 months into it, then I think you'd have something to worry about. It's just been a month. He still needs time to grieve. Give him a few more months."

"I understand all of that but I'm afraid at the rate we're going, if it goes on much longer, there's going to be nothing left to salvage."

"Katniss, you two are meant to be together. Nothing that happens is ever going to change that. It's just another trial but you are both going to be okay. Your relationship is going to be okay." She assures me.

I sigh.

"You know, I would give anything in the world to have something like you and Peeta have. I just lied to myself with Brandon. I just hoped because we were best friends for so long that it meant something. It didn't mean a thing. Sure, I loved him but we never had anything romantic before he came back after a couple of years. We have a beautiful daughter to show for it but that's all. I wouldn't change it but now I'm going to be more careful. I'm gonna hold out until I find something like you and Peeta." She tells me.

"I hope so. I just want you to find someone who will love you and love Carter like their own."

"And it may take awhile but eventually, it's going to happen for me. Just like, eventually, things will be better between you and Peeta."

I stay quiet, not wanting to believe her.

"I wish that I could go back in time and be the only one in the relationship that knew how loss felt. It breaks my heart to see him experience things that have become normal for me. I never wanted Peeta to know how I felt when I would wake up screaming at night. Now, he knows it all too well and I never wanted that for him. He doesn't deserve that." I explsin, involuntary tears rolling down my cheeks.

"That is very sweet of you, Kat but now you can help each other. Peers understands you on an entirely new level now. And you understand him in a new way too. Use it to help each other and to grow closer together." She says.

She's right.

Peeta now knows exactly what I've been going through most of my life. I know exactly how hurt he is and I know how terrified and lonely he must feel.

"Thanks. How is Carter?"

"She's getting so big. She's gonna be six months old soon."

"Wow. I can't believe it."