Chapter Five

Katniss POV- (The next day, 1:30pm)

"Peeta, Johanna called and wanted me to go help her with something at her house. Do you mind if I go?" I ask.

He shakes his head a little, "No."

He seems to be a lot better since our little intervention yesterday but he's still not okay.

"Okay, well it's probably going to take a long time. She knocked a huge hole in the wall and needs to fix it before her parents come home in a few days. Do you want to go?" I ask, hoping he doesn't.

He shakes his head, "No. Not unless you need me to, I don't feel up to going anywhere."

I frown and walk over to him, leaning down in front of him and kissing his forehead.

"That's okay. I love you." I say softly to him.

He nods, not making any eye contact with me.

"I love you too, Katniss."

I smile sadly at him as I prepare to walk out the door.

"Hey, Katniss?" Peeta says, jumping off the couch and around to me.

I turn around, "Yeah?" I ask.

He embraces me, into a hug.

It's short and sweet.

"Thank you." Peeta says, pulling away.

I nod my head and leave.

I hate that I don't know what to say or do in moments like that.

I get into the car and call Johanna.

(On the phone with Johanna)

"Hey, I told Peeta that you knocked a hole in your wall and that it would take a while." I say.

"What are you up to, Brainless?"

I laugh a little, she hasn't called me that in forever.

"It's nothing, Johanna. It's to help Peeta, that's all you need to know." I assure her truthfully.

"Alright." She sighs.

"I will call you when I leave the place I'm going to, okay? Remember don't tell Peeta a thing." I say.

"I won't. Bye."

I sigh, "Bye."

The doctors office calls a few minutes later.

(On the phone with the doctors office)

"Mrs. Mellark?"

"Yes." I say.

"This is a reminder you have an appointment at 2pm. Will you still be able to make it?"

"Yes." I say and she thanks me and we hang up.

I can't believe I'm doing this.

I am going to do everything in my power to assure that I get pregnant as soon as possible for him.

Or at least, assure that my body is ready when it happens.

About ten minutes later, I arrive.

"Hello." A nurse smiles as I walk into the office.

I smile falsely, "Hi." I say, extremely nervous.

I want this so bad but I'm so scared, especially going about it like I am and not having Peeta at my side.

I've never been to a place like this before and I didn't realize until now how scary awkward it's going to be.

"Fill out these forms about you and your sexual partner's information, please."

I cringe at the term and sit down in the little blue chair and begin filling out the information.

I fill out both Peeta and I's names, birth dates, health statuses, as well as our family health history that I know.

I should've just told Peeta I was coming or waited to come or dragged him here with me.

I finish the packet and hand it back and soon, the doctor is ready for me.

"Hello, Katniss. I am Doctor Coles." A brown haired lady shakes my hand.

"What can I do for you?" She asks as we sit down, she shuts the door.

Nervously, I sit down across from her.

"I have a really weird situation." I start, knowing that I'm going to have to tell her everything.

"Sure, go ahead and explain. You are my last appointment today." She smiles.

I take a deep breath, "Okay, so I have been with my husband for almost three years and we've been married for 5 months and he's been wanting a baby for a long time. We've had tons and tons of discussions about it and I refused because I felt that it was too soon in our marriage. A little over a month ago, my husband's entire family passed away and he's been completely devastated. I have literally tried everything and it feels like our marriage is falling apart. I know that the only thing that is going to get him out of his depression is having a baby." I say all in one breath, feeling nice to get it all out.

The doctor nods, "Katniss, I think that's very thoughtful of you but you're going about it in the wrong way."

I nod, "I really want a baby now." I state truthfully.

It feels so weird to say that and to believe it but I do want a baby and since all this has happened, I realized how much I really do want Peeta and I to start a family.

I realized how good we would be together at it.

"I'm just scared because I asked him about it last night and he refused because he said I was just going to get pregnant to make him happy. Maybe it's partly true but it's also to make me happy too. Please, just tell me what to do?" I beg, so afraid she's not going to help me.

I'm such an idiot for coming here.

This lady probably thinks that I'm insane.

"Katniss, I can try to help you anyway that I can but all I can really do is prep your body for conception."

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

She sighs, "Your husband needs to impregnate you but until that happens, I can't help you much."

"What can you help me with?"

"Ultimately, this is between the two of you what happens but if you would like, I suggest you begin taking prenatal vitamins as soon as possible."

"Okay, I will. I will do anything that will help and assure I have a safe pregnancy when it does happen." I say truthfully.

"You are going to have to make sure you are at a healthy weight and that you eat right. Drink lots of water. I want you to keep in touch with me. If you aren't pregnant after three times of having unprotected sex, please, contact me immediately because that could mean one of you are infertile." The doctor says as she writes out suggestions of vitamins and special instructions.

I nod my head.

Peeta better know how much I love him and want this for us.

"Thank you for trying to help me. I really appreciate this and I hope you don think that I don't want this because I really really do." I assure her, even assuring myself this time.

Completely, I am a 100% sure that I want to have a baby, not only for Peeta's sake or even our marriages sake, but my own.

I want to be a mother.