𝟏𝟖.𝟐「𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐍𝐓」

𝐎𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

"Guys, we're coming up on Freedman's Church" Pope speaks up, breaking the silence in the van for the first time since everyone got in "The church Denmark built for all the slaves he freed"

We speed past the church and I lift my head from Kie's lap, watching the trees blur past us. Since the Pogues joined me in the van I've felt JJ's stare practically burning me, but i've not no much as glanced at him.

"There it is, Angel Oak" Kiara points out and we all look forward.

"Oh, shit! Tide's coming in" John B notices as the van slows down.

"Hey, wait a second. Look. They already came through here" Pope informs us "Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go"

"Mmm, what do you think, chief?" JJ asks John B.

"I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey" John B answers.

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement" JJ nods.

"Yeah" John B mumbles.

"Okay, clearly, they made it. No?" Kiara counters.

"In a two-wheel drive? I don't know about that" JJ scoffs.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways? Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?" Sarah smiles widely in amusement.

"She's got a point" John B shrugs and they both turn to face forward again.

"Speed is your friend here, okay? So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother" JJ tells him.

"Stick to the ground in the middle" Pope adds.

"All right, ready? Here we go" John B announces, sending the van speeding forward.

"Come on. Punch it" JJ encourages "Speed is your friend. You're not going fast enough"

"I'm in second" John B retorts.

"It's gonna slide" Kiara comments worriedly.

"You're fishtailing already" JJ states matter of factly.

"I know" John B huffs.

"Not to put any more pressure on you, but if you don't make it through, we'll be stuck here forever" Pope declares, leaning between the front seats.

"Put your head back, okay?" John B orders, pushing Pope's head back.

We reach the other side of the road that's not flooded and everyone cheers in relief.

"I told you we'd make it" John B brags proudly.

"That's my girl" JJ chirps happily, glancing back at me and for the first time since getting in the van I stare right back.

"I think we're close enough, JB" I tell my brother, breaking eye contact with JJ.

"Yeah. All right, right here. That's good" JJ agrees with me as the van stops and he climbs out "Angel Oak is right through here"